MotoGP » Ezpeleta: BBC to BT like 500cc to MotoGP

“500cc was fantastic for decades, but there is a moment when you need to move to other possibilities” - Carmelo Ezpeleta.

Jay - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 9:51 AM

Quite frankly Money rules and the little men are fools YET AGAIN! Ezpleta and DORNA have NO IDEA what services the supporters in the UK have access to and the free to air BBC is one of the main reasons that it has grown so much in this country

Quite frankly I won't be buying a subscription to BBC sport and I am sure a few hundred thousand like me will not either

Foolish Foolish GREEDY People!

Cammyspop

May 10, 2013 10:00 AM

@iusedtobesleepy I'm sure you can get BT Sport where you live. It's available on Sky for a start. If you're BT subscriber it's available via your web browser if you don't have BT Infinity TV and it will be available on BT Vision too before next year.

So there's no way you can't get it at all.

Cammyspop

May 10, 2013 10:07 AM

@Davechipp you're right about the BBC. Every year they promise every race will be live on BBC2 and every year they fail.

They've given other stuff priority (including snooker FFS!) and shown the race late at night. They've moved the race to the red button service in the past without advertising, great for those who had the red button service at the time so long as they were psychic and knew it was on. And they have no qualms about cutting MotoGP coverage if something else runs late, but if MotoGP runs late tough luck they'll still cut to some prerecorded dross because they don't want to upset the grannies who watch it.

AUS - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 10:10 AM

@Jay
Hi mate just reading all the stuff about this BT change and I see all the Brits are really up in arms I was talking to a riend of mine and he said you guys have to pay for a TV licence is this right?it sounds like dorna have suffed up again they need some new blood in that organisation before it is too late.

Cammyspop

May 10, 2013 10:11 AM

Forgot to mention the year they said they were covering every GP live and then decided they weren't showing Assen. I complained and was told the reason they weren't showing it was that the race was on saturday and they were going to show it "as live" on sunday. I explained that the race was always on saturday so they must have known that at the start of the season when they made the promise to show all races live. The reply I got amounted to "tough".

So I went out on the saturday and when I got back I discovered that they'd decided to show the race live without bothering to publicise the fact. No doubt the live bowls from reading or whatever other dross they thought more important had been rained off!

Lowie - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 10:13 AM

Thats me finished with MotoGP then. when i have mates round when the racing is on they tell me to "wake me up when its done". now i realise i only watch it because its there. I have been watching since it used to be on Channel 5 (seems a long time ago). now it seems only three bikes can win a race (4 maybe if Rossi can get back to pace).
Last night i watched the British Supersport race i recorded Monday - pinnacle of the sport or not - that was racing!!!

Steve Middle - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 10:17 AM

I remember when it was announced that the BBC was taking over coverage and many, many people on here complaining.
A BBC spokesperson came on this forum to answer the criticisms from the fans. I'd be surprised if we got the same from BT... prove me wrong... They're bound to be checking this out.

Bill Ivy - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 10:18 AM

That's a bad move Dorna, the British Eurosport coverage is just outstanding and its good to see pubs and clubs showing MotoGP on BBC lunchtimes at the moment, but bikes are very much a minority in the UK and loosing it to BT will make it even more obscure.

Cammyspop

May 10, 2013 10:19 AM

@davechipp "Well Mr Ezpeleta if you want to destroy motogp you have found a great way to do it."

Dave how naive are you exactly? The UK is very much a minority market for MotoGP. Look at the viewing figures. Remember we're a partisan lot in the UK and only watch a sport if we have a good chance of winning. Should a British rider start winning then people will want to watch, until then it's only the faithful who will.

When Ezpelata described the UK as a mature market, he is politely saying it is unchanging. Or that it has got as big as it's going to get.

PatrickD

May 10, 2013 10:21 AM

I feel for people who watch Eurosport and will now be further out of pocket. But last time I looked, Eurosport wasn't for free. I've taken a (fairly insignificant) stand against Sky some time ago and went with BT Vision, so I'll see how this pans out. It almost certainly couldn't be worse than the bbc presentation team.
If it works out, I'll be happy to see Superbikes join in. We do need a one-stop-shop for motorbike racing , as it's a niche market.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »