MotoGP » Ezpeleta: BBC to BT like 500cc to MotoGP

“500cc was fantastic for decades, but there is a moment when you need to move to other possibilities” - Carmelo Ezpeleta.

Bikemarshal - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 10:27 AM

As I am now a pensioner I will not subscribe to BT. Past experience of their poor service is enough. I hope they do reunite Keith Huewen and Julian Ryder as a commentary team, they were brilliant on Sky years ago on WSBK.
I think BBC should be commended for the job they have done on MotoGP except employing Charlie Cox who is as much use as a handbrake on a canoe.
Dorna have now excluded a whole host of UK fans and should be ashamed of themselves. Money talks with them ! They are killing off support for MotoGP when we have riders who are doing us proud

Adam - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 10:28 AM

"We needed someone who would pay us the money we require"

For Carmen to front like this is about anything other than money is rubbish. That's what DORNA care about, the financial bottom line.

There's precisely zero chance I will subscribe to anything BT ever have to offer.

Bye bye, MotoGP.

pedroner - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 10:29 AM

I've been watching bikes on Eurosport since the late 90's. Never liked the BBC coverage much, but it was good that the choice was there.

The thing is, bikes are a minority sport. Back when soccer was moved to sky sports, the soccer fans grumbled, but they could always go down to their local and watch a match over a pint. In fact, this was a pretty good excuse!

My local shows soccer, rugby, snooker, etc, but I have never ever seen them show a bike race. Much and all as I'd like to, I'm never going to be able to go watch the GP over a pint.

So bye bye MotoGP, I'll read the results on twitter ...

Cammyspop

May 10, 2013 10:34 AM

@PatrickD I'm with you for standing up against Sky (and any other part of the Mudoch empire) however those with less scruples than us will still be able to get BTSport on Sky when it launches in August, just like they get Eurosport. Although there's not yet any talk of it appearing on Virgin I'm sure Virgin will realize they need to show the channel to keep some of their sports viewers.

I'm currently told that while BT TV customers will get the channel free BT Vision customers will have to pay a one off £10 charge for a viewing card. Not happy about that - free should mean free. Sure I could watch it on another device like a games console through my TV, but that means anybody on option 1 would probably exceed their 10GB broadband cap.

Have complained to BT about the £10 charge. I'll let you know how that goes.

Cammyspop

May 10, 2013 10:41 AM

@Bikemarshal it's true that Huewen was never going to get the job at the BBC after his sweary commentry in the eighties. I've a feeling it may have been the Transatlantic Trophy, but it may have been the British GP at Donnington. He'd let a couple of swearwords slip, but if memory serves he peaked with a shot from the outside of a bend where just about all you could see of Mamola was one hand and wrist and the sole of his boot as he was so far off the bike his calf on the seat was just about all that was keeping him on. IIRC Keith's inciteful comment on this was "******* hell!"

Maybe it wasn't quite that bad, but if he pulled that on a sunday afternoon on BBC2 these days can you imagine the complaints? It would make Jeremy Clarkson look like Saint Francis.

pete g - Unregistered

May 10, 2013 10:46 AM

bt tv has about 7700 subscibers so i dont think bt sport will up the viewing figures from those on bbc or eurosport.i think dorna has made a big mistake in this misgiuded move.i for one will boycott any thing that is connected with bt and i urge anyone who cares about motogp to do the same you never know it might just work.

Cammyspop

May 10, 2013 10:47 AM

@Adam are you aware of any mainstream sport that is run in a different way. All professional sport is about money, plain and simple.

A few year back it was Sky (and to some extent Eurosport) that was flashing the big money to get football, rugby, motorsports, you name it. Why? Because they wanted people to take up their service. The organisers were happy to take their money rather than take less from terrestrial broadcasters. Sky now have the subscribers and they know that they won't get significantly more by outbidding BT for any of those sports.

BT with their IP TV service are where Sky were a few years back. They want more uptake for their service. Sky are happy to let BT win the bids as they will be broadcasting BT Sports 1 & 2. Sure they'll have to pay BT for the privilege, but less than they would have had to pay for exclusive rights.

Melee

May 10, 2013 10:49 AM

BBC to BT like 500 to MotoGP?

Stupidest. Comparison. Ever. Ezpeleta has played his part in the destruction of grand prix racing over the past decade, to be honest.. Sorry, Casey Stoner is definitely right - the days of true GP racing are long gone..

Cammyspop

May 10, 2013 10:53 AM

@pete g you're not paying attention are you?

BTSport 1 & 2 will be available through BT TV, BT Vision, Sky and to BT broadband customers through a web browser when it launches in August. I'm also predicting that Virgin will end up broadcasting the channels.

So that's all Sky subscribers and all BT Broadband subscribers however they get their TV. Actually that's a pretty big customer base. The big question here is whether BT will show all the races live through all those services. The big problem with the BBC was that they often failed to show the MotoGP race live and seldom showed the Moto3 or Moto2 races.

TheBiscuit

May 10, 2013 10:58 AM

i have virgin so does this mean i wont see the bikes at all next year??

dont get me wrong, it pi$$es me off that bbc coverage cuts off before the podium, but i like to watch the racing live. even if it means listening to nightmare in a bubble car/third armpit.
i watch the moto2 and 3 on eurosport, and i sure as hell am not paying bt any money. i used to work for them, absolutely disgusting company.
that'll be my bike viewing fecked then.

« 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »