MotoGP » Le Mans: Dovizioso 'so happy' after strong race

“I'm so happy with the race” – Andrea Dovizioso.

TalentFan

May 20, 2013 5:52 PM

@ jambop

I take your point about VR moving forward - but also you have to concede that moving forward from a poor quali is just as likely as it is that you'll move backwards from a great quali!

In this instance, then overall finishing position will be a relevant indicator (despite the fact that competitive factors change year-on-year - e.g. Spies had a 'mare 2012 which took one full factory top-4 bike out of the running for virtually the whole season - its a freak and unlikely to be repeated. This of course benefitted loads of riders, notably Dovi of course with all those podiums).

Over a season and as an average it'll be an interesting stat to compare VR's quali and race finish positions with Dovi's. This still won't be definitive & show how COMPETITIVE each finish was (as I've explained) but as its over a season its probably a fair yardstick.

Realist

May 20, 2013 7:16 PM

I do find it amusing that Rossi rode the Ducati more or less the same as Dovi (and better in some circumstances), but people called for retirement. Dovi replicates (or fails to replicate), and all of a sudden he's a "hard fighter to the bitter end" and is "getting the most out of the Ducati". It's perplexing to me how posters lack objectivity.

Realist

May 20, 2013 8:36 PM

@ cmpunk

Agreed, and that quali effort could be due to the change in the format. Nonetheless, what matters at the end of the day are points.......and ultimately where you end at the end of the year. A pole position every race means very little when you end up 4th by the end of the year.

P.S. Hayden gave us a very similar performance last year on the Ducati where he led a good number of laps.

jambop - Unregistered

May 20, 2013 8:49 PM

Talent fan.
Here are a few figures for you to look over they are straight from the motogp website.
Qatar Dovi quali vs race fast lap plus1.5 sec
VR equal
Austin Dovil quali vs race fast lap plus 0.6
VR minus 0.5 sec and equal to Dovis quali lap
Jerez Dovi quali vs race fast lap plus 0.55 sec
VR minus 0.1 sec
Le Mans it rained :)
The point I am trying to illistrate is that Dovi can get a good quali lap but hs race pace is poor and that is not made up by me its a statistic from the motogp site you can look for yourself.

jambop - Unregistered

May 20, 2013 8:54 PM

cont
And for good measure I will repeat the statistic from Ducati corse . In all the races Rossi completed in his two year stint he only four times did he not improve on his quali position Dovi four races into the season has not improved his postion in any race yet! This is not an anti Dovi post its a why are people saying is doing so well on this bike why it is clear from all statistics that he is not! Rossi took pelters fpr his stint at Ducati .. fair enough but Dovi is being praised for..... well not being any better so far! These are not made up stats got to the website and see ro yourself he has a fast qualifying lap and nothing in the race hence his race results which are no better than Rossi was getting.

prof-x - Unregistered

May 20, 2013 8:57 PM

lolz, Realist is trying so hard hes making stuff up now. Lolz. Lets see, Indy 2008 would be the last time Hayden has lead a race outright (fighting with Vale before the red flag.) He had some good runs in 2010 fighting for 3rd, but being the #2 pilot on the team typically leads to those kinds of results. If anything Hayden is better with out Vale absorbing all of Ducati's efforts. Maybe he did something like Marco on the Hayate and lead for a couple laps out of sequence, but to be honest, I dont believe Nicky has lead a race for more than a few (2-3) laps, if that is even the case, since he almost won at Indy.

Realist

May 20, 2013 9:21 PM

@ prof-x

My point in mentioning Hayden was not to suggest that the actual situation was 100% parity. My point in mentioning Hayden was because he put on a good show in which he ran close to the front for a decent period of time on the Ducati (..and everybody hailed him for it).

jambop - Unregistered

May 20, 2013 9:21 PM

Here folks is my final stat on the last race, and I know you will all probably quite rightly say its academic because he did step off it and Rossi was on the Yamaha BUT of the seventeen laps completed before he fell Rossi set a lap time faster than Dovi did on ten of those laps the major loss for Rossi was on the first lap 2.6 secs down on Dovi Yet again I will have to say it Dovi had a good qualifying lap but his race pace was not that special at all. That's all from me folks bye!

TalentFan

May 20, 2013 10:51 PM

As my final effort I will say this... Folks were determined toake this a Dovi v Rossi thing, determined to defend Rossi as the goal.

I resisted, but that's all some want. Bear this I'm mind - let's say Rossi stats say he did as well or even a bit better on paper. But VR fans have spent forever saying Rossi is the best while saying Dovi is a journeyman undeserving of a factory ride. On this basis and on the basis of expectation - which of the two underperformed and which (so far) has performed above expectation? You know the answer is Rossi and Dovi in that order.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  »