MotoGP » Catalunya MotoGP: Rossi ‘Barcelona very important after recent results’

"For a few days after I had the crash at Mugello, I hurt everywhere!” - Valentino Rossi.

Guna4699

June 11, 2013 11:12 AM

Remember he is always running in top4 all weekend but gets beaten by others down to 3rd row only in last few minutes of qualifying,, that's the few minutes when all riders go for that gasping lap pushing beyond their 100%,, as age goes up and up you don't push beyond 100% as good as the youngsters and this seems to be troubling Rossi... Its not the problem with bike or his skills but the blame should go to his age, so problem looks almost unsolvable, no points awarded for good qualification but the legend is losing points in qualification.... But I still hope for the qatar magic every race... Go vale

THE46FAN

June 11, 2013 11:52 AM

He did pretty well to avoid hittin the wall at Mugello. Things could have been worse than his 2010 crash if he had not put the bike in front of him. Glad that we have him fit here at Catalunya, and this time he might just crash into the Spanish party....:)

Codger

June 11, 2013 12:02 PM

@ Motojunky........:)

@ Garry.......I have to agree

@ Ausrossi....as you say Rossi usually has better race pace than Cal. Also, it pains me to say, ditto Dovi. Dovi can put in a really fast one off lap, but as yet, he can't convert it into a podium, the bike won't let him.

benignlyindifferent

June 11, 2013 1:33 PM

I agree that he is under some pressure. I think the top four or five are under pressure to perform. Dani has Marquez as a new benchmark, Marquez fell last race and might be seen as pushing too hard. Lorenzo is closely watching the progress of the Hondas, and Rossi, while fast, must be questioning his ability to ride at the very sharp edge of the field. The next four races will reveal much.

Rabcati

June 11, 2013 1:52 PM

I wonder if Burgess and co should try and focus on a qualifying setup from Friday onwards to try and sort this problem out. I know its probably Rossi's own limitations holding the time back but they could forget race setup for a minute and see whats what. Or is it just a case of race setup + low fuel + sticky tyre I dunno!

scooter22

June 11, 2013 2:04 PM

Rossi can have all the race pace in the world but he cant qualify under this new system the days of him doing 20 minutes and getting to the front row are long gone, if he cant adapt and improve he will be constantly mid pack and at the whim of riders who have no respect for who you are or what you have done. the mid pack are trying to improve themselves and if Rossi is in the way so be it but it is sad to see the talent that was being slowly ebbed away. I expect him to be on the second row at best and maybe the third but front row not a chance

Garcia

June 11, 2013 2:16 PM

As Rossi himself said (and Julian Ryder has been incessantly repeating ever since at every opportunity he gets ) : “The bigger problem is that in qualifying I am unable to do what I want, when I try to push more I create some problems with the bike. The other riders are better than me to use the extra grip from the new tyre "

I think it is down to a technical or set up problem that they need to sort out. Rossi may not as fast these days as to be taking pole positions, but to me there is something else affecting his qualifying times ,something's off. On race day he's clearly faster than most bikes qualifying in front of him . Mugello may have been a wake up call for him to try sort this out.

DB8

June 11, 2013 3:14 PM

@ aircooled4 - I'm struggling to get the stats on motogp.com, but I always remember him qualifying really well.

In the odd occasion he qualified poorly, he could make it up, but generally, he started on the front row the majority of times before going to Ducati, as far as my memory goes anyway, which isn't the most reliable admittedly.

« 1 2 3 4 5  »