MotoGP » Valentino Rossi's salary still highest in MotoGP

Valentino Rossi the only motorcycle racer on latest Forbes 'World's Highest-Paid Athletes' list.

shuggiemac

June 12, 2013 8:23 AM

@69transam - you have totally missed the point. Schumacher was a multiple world champion and an incredibly talented driver. The difference between him and Rossi is, by comparison, he had the charisma of a fish and entered a sport in the spotlight.
Be a Rossi fan or not it makes no odds but anyone who denies that he has been THE biggest single draw and raiser of the sport in the last twenty years is simply deluding themselves.

MOTOM

June 12, 2013 9:58 AM

@ Ammar
Because that info is in Forbes that not necessarily means that is a truth. And even it is a truth, that's probably salary for two year deal, IE 6 m. per year.

@Motojunky
... most people thought Rossi had "burnt his bridges" at Yamaha, and would never again get a start. Makes you laugh doesn't it?

Yes and no. He got deal only at the insistence of Yamaha's pr and marketing departments (because they need money). Racing department was against his services, Furusawa said that. This means that they need him only as cash cow, and i am sure he knows that very well.

Garcia

June 12, 2013 10:47 AM

If he gets paid that much it's because he generates that much and more for them. Nobody gives you 12$ for nothing. But Rossi is obviously the exception. I sometimes wonder how much the riders get paid on average.There is not a lot of information about it. This is from a Scott Redding interview, interesting I think:

“I'd say the top five in Moto2 are getting paid. I also know there are riders paying £800,000 to get a ride, and minimum 250k, for a Moto2 seat. For me, if I had to do that, I would do better things with 800k than ride a bike for a year. But the countries where these guys are coming from, the government help them out. For English riders, we get **** all. Mike De Meglio, he's an ex-world champion. He had a house, a car, and now he has no house, and no car and he's in debt because he's paid to ride. For what? Some of the stories you hear are nuts.”

Motojunky

June 12, 2013 11:19 AM

@ Motom.
So let me try and get your point of view.
They pay Rossi 6mill a year for 2 years, and for that he brings no sponsorship to the team. And when you say the PR and Marketing team wanted his services, but not the racing dept. Who pays the racing dept wages?
When they pan to Rossi's team in the pit garage, no one looks like they don't want him there. Quiet the contrary. They all look absolutely delighted to have him back. Who cares what Furusawa thinks, not Yamaha because ROSSI's BACK.
Oh and 1 more thing. You think Duacati would not have paid him that much to stay with them?
Rossi wanted a competitive bike and that's because he wants to race. And the only thing for sure (baring injury) is that he will finish in front of all the other Ducati's by years end.

Yes Yes Yes Leave Me Alone

June 12, 2013 12:03 PM

I agree shuggie, I've been a Motogp fan since ~1996 - and hence have 'grown up' with Rossi being the main draw, like A LOT of motogp fans my age.

Though I appreciate other riders, and am a fan of the sport in general, I tune in primarily to see how VR gets on.

Motogp without Rossi will be worse off, Marquez could be a saving grace, but if it was just JL/DP at the front I think I'd be content with reading the result in the paper on a monday - they just don't hold any emotion for me at all.

MOTOM

June 12, 2013 12:42 PM

@Motojunky
They pay him that money on account of his pr and marketing services, because they know and hope that money will back to them + more. They know very well that he is not championship material any more, so his job is marketing and JLo job is to win the title, simple as that.
He contact them first, so he was so desperate to rid from Ducati, and was not in position to dictate contract clause.
They offer him option for superbike 2015 which means they count him on R1 (no more MotoGP) for pr and marketing services in future.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6  »