MotoGP » Rossi and Yamaha 'growing up' every race

“I arrived 5.8s from Lorenzo who did a fantastic race and not so far from the Hondas“- Valentino Rossi.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

bonnethill

June 17, 2013 7:48 AM

The most sensible comments have heard re Rossi were on bbc coverage of motogp from Michael Laverty. He said that for 2 years the bike has evolved around lorenzos riding and his unique style makes if difficlut for anyone elso to ride. Slowly but surely Rossi will get the bike set up the way he wants possibly last quarter of season and then he will be a serious contender. I donlt go with all this Crutchlow stuff he would have the same issues on this bike. I don't think there is alot of difference bewteen the tech 3 and the factorty machine. I think in many ways the tech 3 would suit Rossi better it seems to turn in to corners better.

Codger

June 17, 2013 8:32 AM

@ bonnethill.....Nicely put, good post.
Although Jorge, Marc, and Dani are very fast, I don't think they have moved up a level or left Rossi behind. It's more to do with the style of racing that's left him behind. I would go further and say that it put a stop to Casey's dominance and ruined also the Ducati's chances.
Marc can come in and compete because he has the style needed. Cal is adapting but, like others he is suffering the front end washouts that are prevelant now.

A good start and follow my leader is the name of the game from now on.

Leigh

June 17, 2013 12:16 PM

@ bonnet hill The name of the game is adapting your style to the bike. if casey can go from Ducati to Honda and be as quick as the race winner at Valencia in his first test of the bike. On the same weekend. Rossi should beable to do the same. Marc can!!! Sorry but Rossi is past it. I hope he gets out before he does anymore damage to his world titles

Steve99

June 17, 2013 2:01 PM

Don't forget Rossi's immediate success when changing from Honda to Yamaha. He has done this before and he can do it again. I think his current difficulty is related to the new software developments for the M1, as they have been made from Lorenzo's input. The M1 is now a very different animal to what he was expecting. In addition to this, Rossi doesn't like the feel of the current Bridgestone tires. I'm inclined to give Rossi the rest of this season to either change his setup or get used to the current M1. It is however clear that he is lacking the confidence to ride the M1 to its current maximum performance. Until he can do this, his superior racecraft will not show through.

hoppy

June 17, 2013 3:09 PM

Not the results i was expecting from him this season it has to be said.There is nothing wrong with the bike either as Jorge is proving.And it is nothing to do with Vals age either in my opinion.
Personally,and i will no doubt be flailed alive for this,i think Val has lost his "sparkle".Those 2 winless years at Ducati have kicked the stuffing out of him coupled together with the fact Jorge and Dani seem to have upped their game over the last few seasons AND young Marc getting to grips with the Honda so very quickly.I was expecting race wins from Val by now but he isnt getting close.I think his confidence has taken a battering over the last few years and he is struggling to get back to where he was.I hope he manages to get to grips with things as the season progresses.We need to see him at the sharp end.

CRT

June 17, 2013 3:30 PM

I don't think Val has lost anything. I don't think age has anything to do with it. I think the competition has moved on.

Jorge and Dani have grown into these precision riders, making very few mistakes. Val has never had to contend with riders like this in the past. Marquez is learning every session what it takes to hang with JL & DP, and soon this kid is going to learn how to replicate that precision riding.

bonnethill

June 17, 2013 3:36 PM

@steve99

you are totally correct. He looks like he is holding back and doesn't look that confident yet. I don't think he is riding it a its full potenti yet but I feel that once he establlishes it s limits or gets the correct set up he will be back at the front. Bear in mind Cal Crutchlow is in his 3rd year on that bike , knows it inside out and is confident.on it Rossi. I don't reckon he has lost anything in the way of speed or racecraft I reckon in the period he has been away from yamaha the bike has changed to suit lorenzo's requirements and he is trying to establish its limits without falling off and risking injury

« 1 2 3