MotoGP » Valentino Rossi: One of my best victories ever

'Today was something special, this is one of the best victories in my career' - Valentino Rossi

Jamesy73

June 30, 2013 11:58 AM

Continued @Samas

How much better was Hailwood than the opposition he faced? A lot judging by that article. Though how much disparity was there between the machinery back then remains a good point. As originally stated, I am of the opinion that Rossi is still the greatest of his era Lorenzo or not and that will remain. In 20 or so years from now this question will pop up again...Who is the greatest of all time. I look fwd to your reply and a good clean debate, Not like a lot of the other post's on here.

Jeremy

June 30, 2013 12:08 PM

Fact: Lorenzo and Marquez were injured
Fact: Pedrosa had poor race by his standards
Fact: This will not be the case for the remainder of the season.
Fact:The stars aligned for Rossi and he took advantage.

Dare to Live

June 30, 2013 12:19 PM

@ Jeremy

I have my doubts about your statement, Valentino's win was convincing and he had clearly anticipated a good performance after the tests and thats exactly what he did, though I must admit that if JL was not injured, it could have been neck and neck. Using the word IF is always tricky..."IF"casey did not crash a couple times last year he would have won the championship... this sounds plausible to all yet the fact of the matter is that he did not. Perhaps the true winner and warrior of this race should be JL.

samas

June 30, 2013 12:29 PM

@Jamsey73.
The racers of today have a massive advantage most are fortunate enough to have parents with a few bucks to spare and in Rossi's case his father was a reasonably successful racer so the dna was there and starting at an early age also gives one an advantage.
Hailwood was also fortunate as his father was a millionaire.
I had a cousin who raced and about the only thing that beat him was the booze. Sad really. 600s just starting c u later back race red flagged.
Yes racing today is a totally different ball game circuits rather than roads much much better tyres, brakes, etc plus a hell of a lot more money. I still reckon the Honda 6 and the Yamaha v4 given the tyres and brakes would give todays 250s a run for their money and also Honda had at least 4 works bikes sometimes 6 throw in 2 Yams 2 or 3 Suzuki's and a couple of MZs made for a good race.

iNfRaIiI

June 30, 2013 12:58 PM

This was fantastic!!! I was on me feet all over the room after Vale finishes... We were waiting for this for a very long time! I dont think Vale will be as competitive as Jorge but at least he will be there now! Fighting!
Casey, where are you now? You said that Rossi is raicing only because of the money.... well... I dont think so! Vale is MotoGP! Seriously I dont know what we will do after he retires, which I hope will be at least 3-4 years from now!

hoppy

June 30, 2013 1:21 PM

You only have to look at that photo to see what this win meant to him.Even Val himself must have been having doubts as to whether he had lost his sparkle.As i have said before,those 2 years at Ducati knocked the stuffing out of him and it has been an uphill struggle to get back on the top step of the podium.
Will this win stir his loins again?
Well we hope so.Its good fun to watch him at the pointy end of things.
Great effort Val,well done mate.

Jeremy

June 30, 2013 1:22 PM

@Dare to live

I agree that Rossi had a great race.He moved to the front confidently and controlled the race from there.Just feel all the facts have to be taking into consideration.No hating.

Jamesy73

June 30, 2013 3:41 PM

@ Samas

I know exactly what you mean regarding having financial backing, As a young kid I had a dream to race cars, My father, Who was a very experienced engine builder (Mainly race engines and Cosworth DFR and DFV V8's) Funded my Karting exploits to a certain extent, Of course in reality we needed a lot more to be up the sharp end.

Even if you have a lot of money to throw at it, It will only get you so far and like everything, When money get's involved it becomes far more serious and results matter. Rossi has fought against this pressure and performed at the very top, With-out his undeniable talent, He would not have made it, Sponsors demand success over anything and now commercial pressure allows for nothing but the best. Something Hailwood would not have experienced I am sure. The mental toughness to race is one thing but add the pressure to perform from invested money and other necessary things, Keeps the likes of Rossi ahead of Hailwood and the like imo and he does all that with

« 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  »