MotoGP » Crutchlow: 'A rider like Marquez comes along every 15 years’

"You only see a rider like Marc Marquez come along every 15 years and the one before that was Valentino [Rossi]” – Cal Crutchlow

Filter Comments: All | Registered

herewego

July 10, 2013 8:18 AM

Is it just me or does Cal talk with a funny sort of pidgeon English when he is interviewed!! It's like when you are speaking to people with little knowledge of the English language and you start to talk a bit like they do !!
Anyway, agree with this statement actually. Riders like Pedrosa, Lorenzo and even Stoner don't seem to have the same "instinct" that Valentino and Marc have. It's as if they were born to do this - a totally natural skill that they don't really need to work on! It does seem to be a 15 year occurrence for some strange reason.

Jack Mordino

July 10, 2013 12:38 PM

HRC Boss Shuhei Nakamoto gave an interview recently... he stated that Marquez is wildly talented but not at "genius" status at which he considered Stoner to be. He stated that when Stoner opens (or should i say "opened"?) the throttle he does it in a way that gives the bike the maximum acceleration the laws of physics allow for.

What a shame I'd say, this talent grown into a lad that doesn't really like to race.

RFS131

July 10, 2013 8:24 PM

Maybe the best riders in the world just happen to be from Spain and by having the championship a more multinational affair just for the sake of it would only dilute the competition. Stop waving your flag and concentrate on the riding. I don't care where Scott Redding was born, I only care that he might be able to bring some battles to the other fastest guys. I've never been a fan of CC for just that reason, I think he's there because he's a brit not because he has special talent. There are probably ten others right now who can do a better job but have the "wrong" passport. Same for Hayden and the other American crop. If there's more like MM out there let them fill the grid regardless of their origins.

MrQwerty

July 10, 2013 11:17 PM

@RFS131

Did you actually not read my post? I accept that the best riders are from Spain right now and I am not flag waving, I mentioned a number of riders, only one of them British and Redding is definitely a more likely candidate than some of the others I mentioned at the moment so how you interpreted it as "flag waving" I don't know.

If Spain continues to dominate the championship the country deserves a lot of credit for its motorcycling set up BUT it will also call into question the validity of a "world" championship: domination by one country would suggest that they had a far superior youth set up, indicating wasted talent in other countrues and that would be a dilution of the "world" championship which few wish to see.

I am not a Crutchlow fan, I do not support riders simply based on their country of origin, in fact my favourite rider is Pedrosa as I have mentioned several times. I do think, however, that country of origin is highly relevant because I think a rider with the tal

MrQwerty

July 10, 2013 11:19 PM

continued...

talent of Luis Salom is more likely to be discovered in Spain than somewhere like France or the UK.

This is not a compliant about Spain, rather a plea for the rest of the world to catch up.

fastfisheye

July 10, 2013 11:55 PM

You've hit the nail on the head there. The reason so many talented rider come from that country is due to the depth of the feeder classes, sponsorship money and especially the hunger these youngsters have to be the next big thing. In Spain being a motorcycle racer is second in desirability only to being a footballer. They are fierce competitors, just look at Moto3.

I do agree that it's getting a bit one sided but its up to other nations to raise their game.

Jack Mordino

July 11, 2013 2:40 AM

@ Mr Qwerty:

About those lost talents, you might be right but what would you have MotoGP do? a talent has to find a way to show that it is, indeed a talent. It's nobody's fault if it never shows up to knock the door. If the world functioned on potential alone, now we would have colonised the stars, be almost immortal and perhaps in a transcient state of being.

mrfill

July 11, 2013 2:43 PM

Check the nationalities of the riders in moto2 and 3 - the main feeder series. Plenty of variety there but the notable exception is the USA. No riders at all.
If Indonesia can muster a couple of riders for Moto2, there's not much excuse for other missing countries.
The lost talents could always try the Stoner approach. Come to Europe, race in Spanish championship, get noticed. Worked for him....

« 2 3 4 5 6 7