MotoGP » Rossi: Good relationship with Lorenzo

"I didn't understand why Yamaha decided to put a strong rider like Lorenzo in my pit box. But Yamaha was right” - Valentino Rossi.

lux

July 12, 2013 2:46 AM

Yeah, Rossi has been criticized hugely for his "me or him" move in 2010, but honestly I can understand his gall back then if you just try to put yourself in his shoes.

You've done so much for someone -imagine your GF-, you think you have a great relationship, then you find out she goes for hot flatmate rather than another girl, and 3 years after you find out she's taken money from you to give it to him...

OK, stupid example, but... You know what I mean :D

shamarone

July 12, 2013 4:38 AM

re: "before I didn't understand why Yamaha decided to put a strong rider like this in my pit box, after all the victories. But sincerely Yamaha at the end was right, because they had to think also about the future."

what they had to think about was saving money. the economy went off a cliff and naturally you and crew don't work for scale. if it's any consolation, you suckin' hind tit on ducati for 2 years still out shone his 2 championships. such is star-effing and the "cult of personality". it is the mechanism by which the broke 90% mindlessly transfer the majority of wealth to the 10%. enjoy it.

LLarry

July 12, 2013 6:44 AM

I'm afraid I don't buy this at all.
Rossi always preferred a weak team-mate so he could be the focus of attention.
Edwards was ideal because he always played second fiddle to Rossi in every way and did the vast majority of the testing work whilst Rossi would be messing about in cars etc.
The last thing he wanted was a faster team-mate, hence the wall going up and the him or me ultimatum which backfired spectacularly.
Now that he needs Lorenzo's data to play catch-up suddenly everything is peachy in the relationship.
Lorenzo is the one that has shown maturity & grace in this situation.

herewego

July 12, 2013 8:04 AM

I wouldn't say Valentino had been "humbled" over the last 2 years, more " bloody furious"!!!! Valentino went to Ducati to try to improve the bike, his advice and his help were ignored, so that is not being humbled it is being treated with total disregard. The only humbling thing was that Valentino had to keep riding a bike that he told the world had no chance. Valentino was treated with contempt at Ducati as he told them their bike was sh-t and that was a no no right from the start!! Valentino Rossi is nobody's fool!!

herewego

July 12, 2013 8:33 AM

Also, the ill feeling he had for Lorenzo back then was justified in my opinion as well. Valentino turned the Yamaha from a mid pack bike to a winning bike. The knock on effect was seen in W.S.B. and in B.S.B as the Yamaha was top bike in every race series! Valentino and his crew did all the hard work and Lorenzo waltzed in and started to take all the glory!! I would have been raging as well so you can see Valentino's point. Valentino has had time to dwell and to realise that this was always going to happen whether it had been Lorenzo or somebody else. Valentino is only human and hurts just like the rest of us!

DrWho

July 12, 2013 8:36 AM

People are forgetting that Lorenzo after his first year in MotoGP was demanding more money. At least as much as Rossi got without haven't proved anything. He won no titles, he crashed a lot and was asking treatment like a king. Rossi turned Yamaha from a losing bike into a winning bike from the get go when he rode it for the first time. It's kinda ironic to be honest that Rossi could come back after a pay cut and is still the best paid rider for this year collecting 20 million pounds for one season. The paycut must be bitter for some people but in the end Rossi is still the winner in this one :D

RTP10R

July 12, 2013 12:47 PM

"The ability to evaluate the situation and evolve your thoughts to meet the current situation are considered to be great strengths. Rather than complain, embrace the situation and make it work for you. And Rossi is doing just that. "

We saw great evidence of that while he was at Ducati!!!
Trash talked the previous rider, and couldn't back up what he said.. Then threw his toys out of the cot and went back to Yamaha with his tail between his legs.. Fantastic lesson for others on embracing the situation and making it work. Laugh!

OT82

July 12, 2013 1:54 PM

@DrWho, that's quite interesting, I didn't know that. It makes me like Lorenzo a lot less than I already did! I recall in 'Faster' him bluntly implying he was the better rider between the himself and Rossi. Talk about ego! But anyway, now, I guess, the 'good relationship with lorenzo' that rossi has, keeps getting sweeter as time goes on - the guy's just crashed again. That'll teach him some humility!

« 1 2