MotoGP » Privateer Ducati prompts full Forward Yamaha?

Six Yamaha YZR-M1s for MotoGP in 2014?

Shrimpling

July 19, 2013 6:30 PM

I think this is part of a plan from Yamaha to keep Crutchlow at Tech 3.

Yamaha will insist Espagaro rides one of the Foward bikes. Keeping Colin would be a good move. I can't think of anybody better as a mentor to a rookie.

This allows Bradley Smith to stay on the Tech 3 which will keep Herve happy.

bikenutter

July 19, 2013 6:36 PM

I seriously hope shrimpling is right. If he is and Cal doesn't take it (he wants a promise of a factory seat) then he's a fool, both the Honda (LCR) and the Ducati are totally unknown quantities for him. I would love to see Pol, Edwards, Cal, Brad, Rossi and Lorenzo all on some sort of M1 next year.

martin Duddridge

July 19, 2013 6:46 PM

I think Yamaha have been thinking bigger picture here. you would like to think that Yamaha would make the control software work, Put Espargo into a private team for a year on a privateer bike, learning for a year, keep Crutchlow at Tech 3 ( the man is 4th in the championship after all) and at the end of 2014 when various contract s are up for renewal, shake it up a bit and move riders up or down depending on performance.
Hayden and Edwards ..... Much as I like both riders, it's highly unlikely, however if Yamaha thought it would help shift bikes in the USA, who knows ?
Ducati with control electronics? If it were to be an evolution of the current bike, for me the jury is out on that one, it may work with the control ecu and software, it may work with the CRT tyres, but if I was going to gamble with my money, as much as I want to see a competative Ducati, I'd say if we have this potential glut of competitive or even semi-competitive bikes that they would be very expensive mobile chican

shamarone

July 19, 2013 6:51 PM

re: "The criteria was deliberately vague, but clearly it was only after being accepted as a CRT that the special privateer concessions - including modification of bore and stroke, extra engine changes, fuel per race and a softer rear tyre - became applicable."

(white flag)

i give up. the rules in MotoGP are starting to rival historic tomes like the Magna Carte and the U.S. Constitution. :(

i i (stuttering) i simply can't follow it any more...!?!?

martin Duddridge

July 19, 2013 7:44 PM

If we think back to when the CRT rules were laid out, their was a shortage of competitive bikes on the grid, Honda, Yamaha and Ducati agreed to 4 bikes each, anything above that as down to who had deep pockets and was to br considered as a bonus.
The head man at Moto GP introduced CRT to fill the rest of the grid, and if I recall was regarded as the son of satan for diluting Moto GP with the very notion of production based machinery, it seems that with subtle tweaks to the CRT rules he has got the previously reluctant factories to provide bikes and engines - hopefully !

Gecko

July 20, 2013 3:22 AM

I would love to see a Ducati engine in a Kalex or Suter frame and see it walk off the Ducati factory bikes. I have always believed in the Ducati engine, but their frame technology has always been rubbish. As proved by Stoner, nobody else could ride the bikes fast, including the Great Rosi.

V4Poweeeer

July 21, 2013 6:21 AM

Still a three tier class but at least these we will have a full grid and some factory supplied engines in some bikes. I dont know why anybody especially Yamaha would even react to Ducati planning on releasing more bikes when they are currently dogs anyway. Ducati's best bet would have been to lease or sell engines not an entire bike most would go Yam/Honda option first. It's all to confusing to many rules, too many great riders and few too many competitive machines.
I think Honda and Yamaha have been holding back a bit much when it comes to supllying machines now Dorna has lost it's leverage and Honda/Yamaha can now release competitive but not race winning competitive machines.