MotoGP » Casey Stoner to test MotoGP Honda

"This will allow me to enjoy what I miss: riding a MotoGP bike!" - Casey Stoner.

Codger

July 23, 2013 9:59 AM

cont...
He has zero interest in the road bikes, and his development skills have never really been proven anyway. The guy just nails the bike from the traps.
He once said that he knew exactly how to put the Ducati right, but refused to tell them. So maybe, as well as a chance to have some fun, it's a chance to stick one to Ducati.

If he did consider coming to back to race then I don't believe that Rossi would be his target. His first aim would to beat his old teammate Dani, no guarantee there, and then Marc, even less there.

Personally, I wouldn't want to see him back. I'd hate for his reputation to be tarnished, comebacks can do that. He came, conquered, and retired with all his limbs intact, he should leave it at that.

DB8

July 23, 2013 10:03 AM

@ Dacron, fair enough, you might know more about bike engineering than me. In fact, most people will.

Bottom line however (IN MY OPINION) is, I don't think he's being taken back mainly as a test rider. I think he's being taken back to sound out the demand for a return.

We, as Moto gp fans, should make as much noise as possible to heighten the chances of his return. Although a lot of the Stoner fan boys put him on some god like pedestal and that he wouldn't return out of some higher found respect for pure bike racing, everyone has a price. Also, if he thinks he's wanted back and wouldn't have to put up with as much BS, he just might make a return.

A rider of his talent HAS to be in Moto GP!!

benignlyindifferent

July 23, 2013 10:08 AM

It is clear Honda do not need him to test as Dani and Marquez can do that. No, this is Casey realizing the love of riding a GP bike is still in his blood and I strongly believe he will do a one off race at season's end, despite the claims to the contrary. The evolution of the rules and bike development are going in a positive direction that could not be anticipated 12 months ago, and the competition at the sharp end of the field must appeal to him. Don't really miss him, but his return would certainly create interest in MotoGP as noted by the haters already lining up in this thread.

Codger

July 23, 2013 10:09 AM

@ dmac....Before he retired a lot of posters were saying how great it was to see Jorge, Dani, and Casey getting on so well, and no Rossi 'mind games' involved. So I don't think Honda gives a monkey's either way.

Hard on the track, fun on the podium, is the right way, as SMB and Ago demonstrated. ( the other old timers will know what I'm getting at. )

Foggy's way worked, but he says that he now regrets acting the way he did.

dacron

July 23, 2013 10:11 AM

codger , i don't think you realise that the onboards soak up the data that feed the engineers not the rider , the rider only need point out what the bike is doing , how it turns and what he thinks of it in general , the ducati was full of problems and getting them fixed was out of the question , so he had to ride around them , at honda it was the tyres that were causing the bikes problems and he had to ride around them because HRC don't make the tyres , that took a bit of time to be fixed , all in all he is the ultimate rider to test there bikes.

Codger

July 23, 2013 10:17 AM

Wow!!
My post from July 9 :-

"Sorry to be off topic, nowhere else to post it. I've read recently an interview with Casey, where he clearly shows that he is not enjoying his retirement. Might we see one-off rides from him????"

If you guys want to know anything, I'll just look in my crystal ball :)

Codger

July 23, 2013 10:26 AM

@ Dacron...fair points. Casey made a rod for his own back by riding over the limit on the Duc. The engineers thought 'you are winning so there is nothing wrong with the bike'

I hadn't forgotten the data gathering, all it told them was that the bike was sideways, the back wheel was travelling 30kms an hour faster than the front wheel (which was off the ground anyway), and Casey was so far off the side the sensors couldn't pick him up.

It didn't tell all the other riders how to go faster, anyway.

PS.. I beg to differ on your last point.
Whatever, he has a chance to have some fun and he's grabbing it. If he needs a backup, I'm ready.

testastretta

July 23, 2013 10:26 AM

I think that those Japanese are wise and tactical in approach to Casey. If they'd offered him to drive next year he would probably refused, so they lure him with a test opportunity. Casey may feel hunger again and it could be a chance to have him back.

Don't think Casey is done with racing, otherwise, why would he want to ride again?

With him it would be strongest GP crew ever.

dmac65

July 23, 2013 10:27 AM

@Codger
Fair comment about the SMB and Ago days, but in my opinion what Foggy and Casey used to do to their fellow competitors made watching each race exciting!! I think the excitement has gone from F1 now for this very same reason, as well as the MotoGP, they don't seem to care where they finish now 1st, 2nd or 3rd, they all still get paid. To witness drama and passion is why we watch motor racing! and if we don't see it, we all shout boring race. Casey Stoner played his role perfectly in MotoGP

Codger

July 23, 2013 10:37 AM

@dmac65... I think I agree, I'm thinking about it.

Sheene was the ultimate in the art of 'mind games' and King Kenny used to play up to it. They both 'played' the media and their track battles were more exciting because of it.
It is often outside stuff that adds to the enjoyment of a race.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »