MotoGP » Cal Crutchlow 'speaking to five teams'

"I need time and am speaking to five teams, and not just in this championship" - Cal Crutchlow.

assen03

July 23, 2013 11:43 AM

Wonder which two SBK teams he is speaking to?
As far as i'm concerned, if the Yam or Honda deals are gone, SBK has to be better than the Ducati ride. Much better being competitive ride than just getting a big a pointless big money deal.

DB8

July 23, 2013 11:47 AM

I think he should take the Ducati ride if he's offered it to be honest (SBK would still be an option if it was a flop). He's openly, unashamedly, and rightly stated he wants a full on factory pay cheque, and that is one of his main motivations.

If the Ducati doesn't develop, he'll still have the pay cheque and wouldn't lose any face as even VR couldn't win on it. If he did win on it though, he be a feckin legend! Further again, I think his style would suit the Ducati more.

I'm not comparing him to Stoner, but his balls out style is similar to Casey's. He just likes throttling the thing.

Don-R

July 23, 2013 11:54 AM

I'm not convinced there's much basis to the LCR rumours. Bradl is very important to both Honda and Dorna for the German market (more important than the UK), and Cal wouldn't even earn as well at LCR as he would at Tech 3. I suspect the Honda option is being played up as a bargaining chip with other teams.

In my humble opinion he would be better to stay with Yamaha (the deal on the table is for more factory support and better money) and see what comes up when many riders are out of contract at the end of 2014.

Easy for me to say though, when he's reportedly being offered multi millions to ride the red bike.

fastfisheye

July 23, 2013 11:56 AM

I would like to see Cal stay at T3 with more Yamaha support and Pol to be accommodated at Yamaha/FTR for at least his first year. This can only be good for both of them. Pol can have a learning year with less pressure and it will also allow the Bradley Smith question to pan out naturally. Finally Rossi can stay put and enjoy it as much as he is now for another year. Win win all round at Yamaha before the big changes with machinery and out of contract riders in 2015.

vlady

July 23, 2013 12:01 PM

Mr. Smith is the biggest blunder in MotoGP...and we will lost Cal because of that!!!blame it to Herve if he can't get competitive bike next year...cz i don't think the Red bike is a good choice...let Casey ride that red thing...

Don-R

July 23, 2013 12:01 PM

@ DB8

Honestly I don't think Cal's "balls out" style would help him on the Desmo. He is very much a front-end kind of rider and tends to push the front a lot (which is why most of his crashes are lowsides).

As it stands, the red bike is giving no feel or feedback to the riders, which is why they can't get heat into the tyres - they just can't tell what it's doing.

Much as I admire Cal's progress over the last couple of seasons, I don't see him being the guy to turn that bike around. Not unless they're willing to bin what they have and start from scratch.

DB8

July 23, 2013 12:09 PM

@ Don R - Fair enough, I'm not a racer myself personally so I dont really know, but most of Caseys crashes were low sides too. I always thought their style was more like trying to carry the speed through the corner and stand it up quick, rather than relying on late braking so as to block pass. They both therefore ended up going in a bit hot sometimes.

Like I say though, I'm not a racer, so am speaking from an ignorant point of view.

DC

July 23, 2013 12:30 PM

@DonR

Stoners strength was that he could push the front like crazy and make it work. the problems came when he backed off, and other riders never got out of their comfort zone enough to get it working like Stoner did, crashing whenever they tried. I don't see Cal being any different to Dovi or NH in that respect, at best it could destroy his confidence at worst get himself seriously injured. Big gamble but if he feels he has nothing to lose why not try it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7  »