MotoGP » Ducati hoping to keep Hayden 'in the family'

“We are trying to see if Nicky can stay with us in a different role, maybe in MotoGP or maybe in Superbikes”

Banditfan

July 27, 2013 4:44 AM

If I was Hayden I would tel Ducati "it's all very nice to be ""in the family"", but I would like to win races now and then". Sadly, I think Ducati has just ended yet another MotoGP career. Hayden loves racing and I would love to see him in WSBK but wonder where it is going these days.

Raafrebel

July 27, 2013 5:02 AM

I love Nicky Hayden as much as anyone else here. He is a great rider and a great racer and all round good guy.
As a fellow American, i would love to see him in moto gp racing , but i think he would be much better suited to stay with ducati and become their No 1 test rider. I dont think he will do any good racing in the Moto Gp class as far as results. Lets look at his results:

3 wins (with Honda and 2 of them at his home track)
7 second place trophys All on a honda.
18 Third place results.

While raceing for Ducati for the past 5 years, Nicky has only finished best at 3rd place only 3 times.

I think if Nicky wants to stay with Ducati, he should become a test rider , not a racer. For him to race and to be competitive, he should mabey change back to AMA BSB.
A lot of you will proberbly disagree, but look at the facts

emilio

July 27, 2013 9:33 AM

Hi it is I Emilio, this is very wise choice ducati make...
kentucky hayden is match as both win not much but all the time talking...good matchs this...maybe both do gameshows to for future.

shamarone

July 27, 2013 12:32 PM

re: "They need someone young who has no reference to compare the bike to"

yup, already tried that. see entry for iannone. he says the bike sucks same as all the other great Italians. ie. rossi, capi, melandri, hell even biaggi.

they've heard it repeated now 5x in their own language. if that isn't a consensus, I don't know what is...?

moto4moto4

July 27, 2013 1:55 PM

Given Nicky has given so much to the Duke cause should stay in the junior team if that remains an option.

I know some will complain it is no longer a works ride but it i the only seat, except non msma/crt that will be offered, I suspect and if he should out-perform the factory riders it will only add to his stock and 'prove' him right.

shamarone

July 27, 2013 2:47 PM

here's a thought. granted it's WAAAY off in the distance, but should they have another "epiphany" like they just did here and go with my idea of following Yamaha's path of putting engines on lease, nicky could ride for any number of ducati powered teams (ie. desmo inside). pramac doesn't have to be his 1 and only option.

quite frankly, if they're going to continue with a factory team...? they should just say... ya know what, getting rid of nicky was a mistake. since we can't produce a bike that can so much as podium, never mind WIN...? our only tangible benefit is really the marketing. we're just going to go ahead and re-sign him. whatever you want nick...? 1 year...? 2 years...? we left the contract and a pen in the passenger seat of that 458 italia loaner in the parking lot. go ahead and take that and this fuel card and then get back to us at the end of the holiday.

DrWho

July 27, 2013 3:11 PM

@Shamarone

Ducati is half german, they tried it to say it in Italian, English/Australian/American maybe they understand German better....

Das MotoGP Desmosedici is verreckte scheisse ( crash.net doesn't allow the original "ss" )

moto4moto4

July 27, 2013 3:16 PM

I'm hoping that this signifies big things are happening behind the scenes at Ducati- after all why remove Nicky, whom we are told is particularly good for them in marketing terms, if nothing is going to change much competitively. The only way it makes sense is if they believe they have a more competitive bike waiting in the wings.
Or, at least, I'm hoping this is logical.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6  »