MotoGP » Phillip Island hoping for Stoner appearance

"Honda had three bikes in their garage [in 2011] - this year Casey might be that third rider"

Codger

August 01, 2013 4:43 PM

@ OnceWaz
There are more and more posts implying that MotoGP is a 'sham', a 'fake', a 'show', etc. I don't subscribe to it although I'll concede that it has to be put forward as 'entertainment'. The media need to be kept interested, and moves to make the racing closer will do that, while at the same time putting 'bums on seats'
My point is 1..bringing Casey back for PI would increase the paying customers and stimulate the media it's true, but it could well begger up the Title fight if he were to podium, proving that the 'show' is bigger than the racing. And 2..Casey left because he didn't enjoy racing anymore, didn't like the constant rule changing, and didn't like media attention.
Nothing has changed to make him change his mind on the first two, and imagine the attention he would get if he did come back.
Like everyone else I think he shouldn't have retired, but coming back would cheapen his memory.

TrueFan

August 01, 2013 4:55 PM

This whole story is little more than a beat up...as much as I'd like to see Stoner back bike racing, I don't expect it to happen, and I've seen nothing to suggest it's about to.

Not much news in the summer break...

shamarone

August 01, 2013 5:40 PM

re: "I hope Casey is astute enough not to feed their greed."

I actually I hope he's astute enough to CASH IN on their greed.

how much of the gate are you going to give me if I just show up, do some interviews, and wave at the fans...? i'm the draw, baby needs a new pair o' shoes. talk to me.

hoppy

August 01, 2013 5:44 PM

So seeings as Casey is one of the best, you are either afraid of him beating your hero or you watch motogp for the personalities and not the racing, which is not what it should be about.
Mintox.

Yep,that just about sums it up mate!

shamarone

August 01, 2013 6:01 PM

re: "Then the conspiracy theorists are right...MotoGP is a fake."

well of course it's fake. well maybe not "fake" in the strict definition, but it IS an "entertainment" business, and we ARE in the age of "reality" programming. put those 2 things together and whaddaya got...?

A: kayfabe.

Dreaduk

August 01, 2013 7:46 PM

@WylieCoyote

You jump to conclusions too easily. I'm not a Stoner hater, I happen to believe he's a gifted rider and amazing to watch but unless he's out on his own he's not nearly as impressive. He hates panel bashing.....and Rossi knows it. He also moans like no Pom ever did. As for getting an F1 test, Stoner had two chances, none and f**k all. He spent 20 years learning to ride a bike, do you suppose he's better in a car than the guys who have spent 20 years doing the same? Rossi tested as a publicity stunt and to fuel the summer break PR machine, nevertheless I didn't see Stoner getting one, as a classless Aussie he offers nothing to the sport.

pcxmac

August 01, 2013 9:23 PM

Josh Hayes would destroy Marquez with the same level of support, no doubts of that what so ever :)

Unfortunately Rossi burgeoned too many bank accounts so don't expect the theme to change.

therealDave

August 02, 2013 12:41 AM

"I can't think of anyone else that was fast with elbows dragging and rear wheel spinning other than Casey."

@V4power,

Nice try at re-writing history...elbows dragging (while not new) has only been in the limelight since MM hit the scene. Now, everybody has sliders on their elbows and does it.

Nothing has changed since CS left other than a younger guy has come along, jumped on his bike and gone fast from the start, likes signing autographs, meeting the fans and has captured everyones attention.

People (in general) have forgotton CS and I suspect that is whats driving the red undie briggade into histerics.

Paddles

August 02, 2013 2:13 AM

I think his mind will be on other things more important to him right now, have any of you noticed that 888 have now wildcard entered a third commodore at Bathurst this year? If i was a betting man i'd have some money on the choice of pilot.

« 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  »