MotoGP » Cal Crutchlow's Ducati MotoGP deal done

Cal Crutchlow's factory Ducati MotoGP deal set to be announced on Friday.

Reese

August 01, 2013 6:04 PM

SMH, Cal has done a great job on the Tech 3 bike, I'm sure Herve tried to keep him but alas, another solid rider heads to the suffering Duc. I have seen a few races this year where Bradley Smith finished in front of Dovi. Can't imagine how Cal would feel to have Smith pass him on the Tech 3 bike next season.....

PickleHead

August 01, 2013 6:09 PM

Good move Cal...Why should he stay listed as the #3 yamaha and ride the #3 yamaha and get paid 25% less? For just the podiums with no chance of winning?

Go to Ducati aslo no chance of winning give it your all and get PAID for it and have fun being a factory rider..

Avramski

August 01, 2013 6:22 PM

I'm a little bit surprised about this to be honest, not so much the move to a full factory bike (which is what he wanted), but the length of the contract. Seeing as Cal was the top rider out of contract at the end of this season, then it was inevitable there would be a lot of speculation as to where he would end up.

However, with most of the grid out of contract at the end of next season, then his chances of getting a top factory ride would have improved greatly. I expect that most of the teams for 2015 wil have riders on 2 year contracts again, which will put Cal in the same position once more, looking for a top ride, but with very limited options.

In my opinion, Cal would have been best served by signing a 1 year extension to his Yamaha contract and seeing what his options would have been this time next year, but it's too late now.

Jim Clausen

August 01, 2013 6:24 PM

Considering Audi's success in endurance racing, a record of outright dominance, I predict Ducati will soon be the bike to beat in Moto GP. Either that, or Audi will pull Ducati out of Moto GP.

mumbo69

August 01, 2013 6:32 PM

Listening to your recent interviews, I think it was apparent that you were going to sign for Ducati. I guess everyone, including myself, was hoping that you would stay with Yamaha and continue to climb onto the podium. However, you have made your decision and I'll still be cheering for you at Silverstone cos I'm proud to be British!! Whether the decision was the right one......well, time will tell. Good Luck Cal xx

Woo46

August 01, 2013 6:33 PM

What shame, I can't understand his motivation, sacrificing a satellite bike that he could win races on just to say he's a "factory rider"...riding for that factory will leave him middle of the pack and could end his MotoGP career!! And to those who say Smith should be going instead compare their rookie seasons cos Bradley's doing better than Cal did!

TrueFan

August 01, 2013 6:33 PM

Go Cal, take the money...you've earned it. You don't even have to do very well to be hailed. Expectations are low (according to the posts here), so you can only beat them. Which is better than Rossi achieved. He set high expectations, and bombed out badly. He was more circumspect returning to Yamaha...lesson learned.

People are saying Cal should go to Suzuki. I don't see that. Ducati has been much more successful than Suzuki in the 4 stroke era, even if you exclude Stoner's performance, so why would you roll the dice with Suzuki?

50thR1

August 01, 2013 6:35 PM

It will indeed be hard to swallow for Cal if Smith will finish in front of him next year. I will not be surprised if the man he replaces at ducati will be on a M1 engine and NGM beating Cal next Year. I repeat that Smith should have been dismissed

jambop

August 01, 2013 6:41 PM

Yes but what has that got to do with making racing motorcycles exactly?? Audi know the square root of nowt about making racing motorcycles... mind you at the moment I am wondering just how much Ducati know! Anyway I do not think any of the ideas are going to come from Audi, they may put up some cash but then again why would they winning in moto gp get you nothing but kudos Dcati would be better off sorting out the Pignale that is going to earn them money the desmosmellydecci is going to earn them nothing!

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »