MotoGP » Cal Crutchlow's Ducati MotoGP deal done

Cal Crutchlow's factory Ducati MotoGP deal set to be announced on Friday.

Don-R

August 01, 2013 8:41 PM

If, as reported elsewhere, there'll be a get-out clause in the contract, allowing Cal to bail if the necessary improvements don't materialise, it could be quite an astute move. A year's salary from Borgo Panigale with an escape option ready for 2015 if necessary. That works.

Realist

August 01, 2013 8:54 PM

@ Dr. Thompson

Agreed! People (and riders) have already said that Stoner's riding style was very loose and allowed the Ducati to move around under him. The front end riders aren't as loose, thus, the Duc does not work for them.

BoZz

August 01, 2013 9:05 PM

Well, from what I just read, Yamaha seats were full.. So how could he say with them even if he wanted to? Seems the poor ****** had no choice but to go to Duc.. Where once again he will battle it out with the ever non improving Dovi while wearing red leathers.

tomcol

August 01, 2013 9:12 PM

You cant blame him really. Wasnt going any further with Yamaha or Honda so might as well take the money. Who knows, Audi might get a bit more involved. Next thing you know there will be Audi road bikes. Doesnt quite sound right, does it ?

Garcia

August 01, 2013 9:23 PM

oh no...I just can´t see Cal doing well on the Ducati... I don´t think that bike will suit him at all, he´s doing great on the Yamaha this year but he´s still tends to crash too much , I can only see him crashing even more on that thing...I really hope Ducati can find some improvement for next year, he´s better than that bike. It´s his decision so I´m sure he has good reasons for the move, and I hope the fans won´t abandon him if he starts finishing 9th, 10th. I honestly can´t see him doing much better than Dovi on that bike. The only rider I can see could maybe do something closer to what Stoner did with the Desmo is Marquez. (but I´ll be happy never to find out!)

mrfill

August 01, 2013 9:24 PM

Yamaha need a rival to Marquez. Its good for sales. Pedrosa and Lorenzo are old men in this PR game.

Crutchlow is the fall out of the plan. I don't believe there was a credible offer for him to stay and it was Ducati or a CRT.

IF (huge if..) the bike suits his style, he could find success. If not, he'll have loadsamoney and can become the next Steve Parrish.

4652357

August 01, 2013 9:26 PM

Well, I've read the first few pages of comments and I agree and disagree....
Yep, I would have loved him to get a full factory yam ride but as none are available does he take the chance of being with tech3 to see if one becomes available next year.... that's not a given, so the best bet is get on the duc now. Cals smart, he knows it won't be as good as the yam he's just got off, but I reckon with the Audi backing there's only one way that bikes going. Rossi couldn't stop until that happened as he's getting old and he was wanting to prove himself a winner again.
So I say good move, good luck, and here's to you serving up humble pie for years to come Cal.
Oh and for all the Smith haters..... give him a chance, he's having a better rookie season than Cal did.

« 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  »