MotoGP » Marquez: 'Reality' when Pedrosa, Lorenzo are fit

"Then we will see the reality - where is my level" - Marc Marquez.

TrueFan

August 06, 2013 7:12 PM

@Talentfan

In the past, Hondas always handled rough (to say the least). Yamahas handled better than anything.

Great riders (Hailwood, Spencer, Gardner, Lawson) could win on Hondas despite the bike's violent attempts to throw them off. Honda's one saving grace was horsepower.

There is less power difference today, and less handling difference than in the past - despite any efforts by Dorna to manipulate the result (which I have no real view on).

So, the competition is as good as it's ever been. Although the control tyre always works better on one brand than the rest, it's better than having just one rider with special race-day tyres, and everyone else on rubbish.

AussieNSW

August 07, 2013 1:21 AM

@True Fan
I read your posts and agree with a lot of them but I disagree with a bit of your last post when you said "the competition is as good as its ever been" I have followed GP for 52 yrs and Hailwood was the greatest but the golden era of GP was when we had Rainey,Roberts,Spencer,Gardner,Doohn,Mamola etc I dont think we will ever see an era like that again.

Ausrossi

August 07, 2013 4:17 AM

Wow Aussie we agree on something a great era that and having watched MotoGP since 49 the Rainey Spencer Doohan et al period was probably the greatest of the modern era though I think Doohan enjoyed an Ago like period during which he won all his WCs.

Real Dave you beat me too it how two people in the same team on the same bike with the same control tire and then it is the control tire being used to disadvantage one. Especially as Casey was able to "ride around" problems. The fact is in 2012 Dani adapted better and Casey was shown to be mortal like everyone else. And TalentF I agree that in reducing no engines, fuel limits this only plays to the company with the deepest pockets and Honda is by market capitalisation almost 10 times bigger than Yam.

AussieNSW

August 07, 2013 8:47 AM

@Ausrossi
Did you say you have been watching GP since 1949 or since you were 49 yrs old.

And on your second point people can post what they like but there is one FACT that nobody can deny there is only one guy that has a WC on the Duc and I doubt there will be another but I hope some rider will prove me wrong

TalentFan

August 07, 2013 10:36 AM

I agree with AussieNSW & Ausrossi about the 'golden era' being "Rainey,Roberts,Spencer,Gardner,Doohn,Mamola etc" period. (I was too young for the Hailwood era except for his TT comeback victory)

Lots less Media, PR, theatrics and politics. A lot less 'control' and electronics. A lot MORE reliance on mechanical grip, set-up and mostly rider ability - get on it and ride it. That's what made it special - the head-to-head battle of guts and skill between great pilots.

If (IF) they DO steer WSBK back to a much more basic electronics system (Like BSB) and place much more emphasis on the rider doing the business, not the tech, then THIS is what grips fans, and WSBK would provide Dorna with proof that the lunacy in MotoGP is turning fans off. MotoGP is now just a vehicle for the benefit of Honda & Yamaha's marketing, not for fans of racing competition.

TalentFan

August 07, 2013 10:42 AM

Actually, I think Dorna may need to worry with their direction for MotoGP. The emphasis on technology that is far beyond the needs of the market could be their undoing.

Even Yamaha are pursuing a new direction in their motorcycle range. Its now 'lifestyle' not performance with their new models, as they realise that the market does not want an uncomfortable missile that cannot be ridden on the road at more than about 20% of its potential 99% of the time. The draconian war on speed is pushing this direction also.

If Dorna allow HRC to keep pushing the tech and the costs then I can see Ducati and even Yamaha calling it a day in the not too distant future.

Dorna needs to sell its racing on RACING and COMPETITION, not Tech and exotica and dull processions or it'll have nothing TO sell soon IMO.

Ausrossi

August 07, 2013 11:45 AM

Aussie I am 73 years old. I first started watching when I was 9 years old after my shift in the Welsh mines.

One fact you cannot deny Aussie is that the previous year Loris was leading the championship on the Duc before being seriously injured. The same rider who never looked close to winning anything on any other marque in the premier class, while I have always said that he is a very great rider it is clear that Casey timing was brilliant and that the Duc was the bike of the moment. If he was truly great he would have won back to back championships something he couldn't do even when on the bike of the moment in the RC.

« 1 2 3 4 5  »