MotoGP » Crutchlow eyed WSBK during rookie season

“I was battling with riders that I thought were rubbish and they're not rubbish, they're incredibly talented” - Cal Crutchlow.

Roundiniho

August 09, 2013 12:45 PM

Now Cal, I hope you dont go into the Ducati garage with a similar attitude.......dont back out of it the second the Duke kicks you off, which it will...

I'm tipping you to make a success of this, dont lets us down!!!

shpongled

August 09, 2013 1:06 PM

Firstly, I really like Cal. But he said in an interview, that his data trace is almost identical to Rossi's, which doesn't bode well re: front feeling on the duke. Also, he's acknowledged that he learned how to go fast on the Yam, with help from Lorenzo's data. Seeing as there's no 'fast' data for any of the Duc's, he's going to have to learn the bike himself. Lastly, he uses the 'leg-kick' to help turn the Yam quickly - I don't think the Duc's front end will take that sort of sudden movement at the moment. 2 positives though - there's no way Audi $ would've made this years bike a winner in 6 months, so maybe next year's bike WILL be a step up. Also, you don't get a factory bike ( regardless of whether it's decent or not ) if you're not impressing the right people. Well done Cal.

V4Poweeeer

August 09, 2013 1:12 PM

I really hope he can make that thing work. My bet is he will try to ride it like Stoner, he realises what it took to get him this far and now he knows he will have to make even bigger changes coming onto this bike.
All in all he is the first rider that's going to Ducati that I feel can make it work if not straight away somewhere down the line. Cal just has that fire in him that littlest part of his brain that tells him to slow down or take it easy just doesn't register with him.
He will crash but you can do that on any bike let's just hope he doesn't get injured to much.

Balance

August 09, 2013 1:21 PM

Don-R

I can t agree more m8, Motogp bikes are very specific machines each one of them with there own atitute.. Ducati is a bad bike to puch to the limit to have confidence and this allready come from 2009 on the 800cc and in 2012 with 1000cc until now.. 4sure Cal will feel this sht and will not like because he allready learn how to ride a Good bike.. The best result from Rossi in 2012 in one dry track was at Misano and is the only track where i expect to see Dovi doing godd this year and is only because they test a lot there... Anyway Cal only need to Beat Dovi at Ducati and then at the end of 2015 if is not happy he can try somethingh diferente.. Lets hope that he will not try to make miracles at Ducati because he can get hurt with that bike

samas

August 09, 2013 1:52 PM

@DB8.
As someone who has always been registered if you wish go back and look at my earlier posts from memory I fancied the other Andrea (crazy Joe) but it would take some time at least half a year I know I know he's thrown it down the road a fair bit this year which means to me at least he's trying and it is after all his first year.
Now to be honest I expected a lot more from Rossi after all Capi who in my opinion was not in Rossi's league was winning the odd race on the Ducati. He shot off his mouth all who worshiped him believed him and blamed Ducati said the only reason Stoner won was because he was on the best bike and that he destroyed it.

Don-R

August 09, 2013 1:52 PM

@ DanielJames

I honestly don't think there's any significance to be drawn from comparing Cal and Bradley's rookie seasons. Crutchlow didn't know most of the tracks, there were no CRT bikes in the ch'ship then, the machines were the peakier 800s instead of the more torquey 1000s, and the Bridgestone hard tyre is now softer and reaches temperature more quickly. The circumstances are so different that it's hard to arrive at any meaningful comparison.

Added to which, every rider improves and matures at different rates. Which makes it hard to be gauge anyone's talent level in their rookie year (except MM93 of course).

Hamilton54

August 09, 2013 2:01 PM

Interesting comment samas. You say Rossi cruised around at Ducati which is extremely disrepectful to the riders Rossi beat - the 2012 championship shows Rossi ahead of Crutchlow, what does that mean?

Since Rossi achieved dry podiums and a dry second place, for Crutchlow to do better than Rossi he would have to win a race on the Ducati something he cant even manage on what is accepted to be essentially a factory yamaha. If I were a Crutchlow fan I would be less worried about Crutchlow showing up Rossi's performance on the Ducati and more concerned about the likely scenario that Dovi will wipe the floor with Crutchlow yet again, completely shattering his chances of ever getting another good motogp ride.

samas

August 09, 2013 2:14 PM

Cont.
Iv'e followed GP racing for 60 years now more actually and I have been impressed by quite a few over the years but I'm a GP fan and a GP racer's fan not a showman's fan.
There are those who can talk the talk but can't walk the walk if you know what I mean.

DB8

August 09, 2013 2:22 PM

@ samas, who you calling a cont?? :)

yeah, we've been over that same old argument a billion times on this site. ad nauseam!! why did you have to bring it up on this thread? it is extremely boring, and troll like. Plus, I notice you didn't answer my questions like I guessed.

We all expected more from Rossi. It was a disaster, but he did better than anyone else in Ducati while he was there, and did better than Dovi is doing now, so, my point being, he didn't exactly "swan around", like you stated. He's human though, and it took it's toll on him.

The good thing for Cal though, he's going in with his eyes wide open, and the Rossi saga takes the pressure off him to some extent. I think he'll do OK there. What "OK" is in Ducati though, I don't know any more.

Oh, and 7 premier titles and currently sitting fourth in the standings when people had written him off completely is just talking the talk is it????

Please.

Give him some credit!!

TalentFan

August 09, 2013 2:28 PM

I think it is still true that a rider can 'gel' and form a partnership with one bike and not another - even at this level, and even if both bikes are similarly competitive. All the tech is blurring the lines and making the 'feel' for the bike a much smaller window maybe but its still there.

Also, all these guys are happy to accept crashing as part and parcel of the job - and it doesn't really bother them. IF that is, they understand WHY they crashed. Its the ones where the bike is unpredictable or the rider does nothing different and goes round one lap, and launched the next - this is what makes a rider nervous and knocks confidence.

Is the Ducati predictable? Well it must be up to a point, as Dovi isn't launching it (often). But if you force it - will it reward you or bite you hard? Cal's gonna find out.

« 1 2 3 4 5  »