MotoGP » Valentino Rossi enjoys 'fun' charge, rues slow start

Valentino Rossi puts on a show in the closing stages of Indianapolis MotoGP to deny Cal Crutchlow fourth place on the final lap.

FZ1

August 19, 2013 1:02 PM

It's pretty sad when people on this site can call Rossi's performance a failure. He's openly admitted he needs to do some work and refine an area he clearly knows he's struggling with. Rossi is at a point where he's not willing to ride around an issue and potentially crash and injure himself. Frankly, I found it very entertaining to watch him figure out a bad situation while running in such a lousy position to come back and add excitement to the race. Those on this site keep saying how Crutchlow is handing him his butt, however Crutchlow has had many chances to pull a last lap pass like Rossi did yet still hasn't managed it. Rossi was how far behind and caught them in 4 laps? He made Bautista and Crutchlow look stupid. He was also turning laps as fast as the leading 3 riders at the THE END OF THE RACE on worn tires!

Garcia

August 19, 2013 1:17 PM

After qualifying 9th and the terrible weekend he had, I was expecting Rossi would finish 7th or maybe 6th if he was lucky. I knew he would pass Hayden and Smith, but Bautista, Bradl and Cal had been very strong all weekend. How he found the pace mid race to close the huge gap to Bradl, and then overtake Bautista and Cal, who had both been really fast all race, I just don't know. But I guess that's Rossi, he sometimes does things like this no one is expecting.

To those saying he 's not supposed to finish 20 seconds behind the leader, Lorenzo finished 27 behind the leader in Le Mans, 7th. Cal finished 7th in Laguna, 15 seconds behind the leader and behind two riders with broken collarbones. It happens to all riders, they all can have a bad weekend when they can't find the right settings. I think that after struggling with the bike all weekend, no finding the pace, qualifying 9th and with this being one of his worse tracks, he did great to finish 4th.

Podster

August 19, 2013 1:33 PM

@Dave
Smile your on candid camera NOT lol
Love your excuses and rewriting history it makes this site enjoyable, keep up the good work and don't let the truth get in the way of a good story, we need stories to keep us entertained

Cheers & beers baby :-)

Podster

August 19, 2013 1:38 PM

@Dave
Forgot to add I count 3 years as he did nothing in the last part of 2010, yes he was injured but so was Stoner last year but you don't afford him that luxury so why give it to Rossi... Oh that's right, it helps balance the stats doesn't it.

Cheers baby, still respect you in the morning :-)

DB8

August 19, 2013 2:08 PM

Even if Rossi had have qualified fourth, he would have still been pretty happy with a fourth place finish in my opinion. Its pretty much his least favorite track.
Therefore, to finish fourth from 9th was a great come back and fantastic damage limitation.

Of course, I want him to be challenging for the win, and qualifying on front row, but I wasn't expecting anything special on this particular circuit. Therefore, I'm really happy with that result. I'm expecting him to be closer in Brno though.

It was a great fight for the last few laps. Well done to all 3 for keeping everything upright. I had a horrible feeling Alvo was going to bowl them all out. Fair play to him. Lessons learned I think,.

Codger

August 19, 2013 3:43 PM

shanefireblade:- I'd call it battling for 4th funnily enough.

Mid pack I take to mean as many in front of you as there is behind. So I guess you are not counting the CRTs, so I'll hand you that one. (the 20secs is immaterial. 4th is 4th no matter how far back. Coming second to Ago could sometimes see you lapped)

You say that you are/were a huge Stoner fan so perhaps you'll not see good on Rossi whatever he does. :)
Rossi cant handle the one lap dash qualifying and personally I don't think he would have been fighting for the 3rd step even if he had quallified 3rd or 4th. After all Cal didn't.

« 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »