MotoGP » Valentino Rossi enjoys 'fun' charge, rues slow start

Valentino Rossi puts on a show in the closing stages of Indianapolis MotoGP to deny Cal Crutchlow fourth place on the final lap.

iNfRaIiI

August 20, 2013 9:21 AM

I was so bored with the race in the first 15-20 laps... MM JL and DP was far ahead and nothing happens there... And then Vale made my day once again! Great battle, great race. Yeah, he was far behind the leading group, but this is not a track he loves, he was very slow all weekend, so I think I am pleased. But I hope for much more next race in Brno. Vale at least must try to be with the leading three. Also I think he will make 3 more seasons with Yamaha and he will retire. This one and 3 more. At least I hope for this! Can anyone tell me what was MM and Vale times the last 10 laps of the race? I think Rossi was the fastest guy there was?

shanefireblade

August 20, 2013 9:29 AM

What I am saying is that Rossi doesn't deserve the plaudits he is getting for finishing 4th out of 4 possible race winning bikes. Now if this race was a one off then that's fine. But it's basically a measure of where he's at all season except for Assen and Qatar.

The fans that are applauding his 4th position are basically cheapening his abilities. I think he can still battle for wins, but it seems something is holding him back mentally. Don't give me this crap about not being able to set the bike up %80 of the races this year.

If he can't cut it in the next couple of races then questions have to be asked, as they would be of any other experienced rider.

DB8

August 20, 2013 9:37 AM

@shanefireblade - I kind of agree, although I still think he needs a little more time to get his eye in more. The Ducati spell definitely took it's toll and he is older now, so it takes a little more time to adjust.

The battle to fourth still proves he's got it though as, yes, it was well behind the leading pack, but it was no mean feat considering the poor qualifying (another topic for improvement). But, yes, fourth is not worth a ticker tape parade.

He showed in Assen what he's capable of. To prove that wasn't a fluke, I agree he needs more consistency. Brno will be a very good measure of his potential because its a good track for him. Let's see next week

Codger

August 20, 2013 10:32 AM

Shane and DB8, I think you've got it covered, however I'm guessing that the fans are more pleased with how Rossi achieved the 4th place rather than the 4th place itself.
Catching and passing the riders that he did is no mean feat and if he hadn't had to do that then he would have been a lot closer to Jorge at the finish. He still wouldn't have beaten him though.

Poddy

August 20, 2013 1:02 PM

@R6Ryder
Lets not forget, without Rossi's DNF in Mugello he would be very very close to Jorge and dani. Scratch his other crash in lemans and add a 4th/5th place result and he is where? Very close to dani p . What would all u haters say if that has been the results?

Based on your logic if no one else was racing he would be number one, what a joke comment to add what if into the debate

lux

August 20, 2013 3:38 PM

@ Poddy

What ifs are a special case, but they can have a place in a discussion as long as they add value.

For example, talking about Misano's crash, it can add something to a discussion because it wasn't much Rossi's fault.

The other one under the rain with Yamahas struggling.. That one not so much as it was a mistake.

Guna4699

August 20, 2013 6:20 PM

@ shanefireblade

You have got all wrong,, don't behave as if Rossi started from 5th or 6th in grid and finished at 4 battling with two sat bikes, mind you he was struggling the whole week,, session after session his position was dropping.
From 9th in grid with an ordinary start and ordinary first 15 laps...tell me honestly did you ever expected Rossi to claw back as many as 5 positions to finish,, last 10 laps Rossi was pulling out something which was close to unbelievable,, how many times you have seen others doing this...? That's Doctor for you.

Guna4699

August 20, 2013 6:28 PM

At 34 he is still the best man to keep as interested towards motogp,, top3 aliens are producing results to the team and what more do they provide?? Absolutely nothing...
Was the two time champion robotically consistent JL able to attract sponsors for yamaha,, no? After two years of carrier worst result Vale came with monster deal.
Because he is still capable of keeping us at the edge of our seat bitting nails.

CRT

August 20, 2013 8:18 PM

LOL

Monster wanted to bring the sponsorship so that the top step wouldn't be filled by a Rockstar logo.

Monster isn't even the title sponsor for the Yamaha team.

If finishing fourth is what brings "excitement" to you than more power to you. Last I checked, we don't watch a race to see who finishes fourth.

« 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  »