MotoGP » Redding officially confirmed at Gresini Honda

'I'll be racing alongside the best riders in the world, aboard the brand-new Honda production racer, so I know already how steep a learning curve it's going to be' - Scott Redding

nealio

August 29, 2013 9:19 PM

If the Honda proddie is a match for the Tech 3 Yamaha Scott and Pol can continue their struggles next year. it will be interesting to see how these machines stack up with the known qualities of these riders.

eadgbe

August 29, 2013 9:24 PM

The works Honda's big advantage is out of slow corners. Nothing to do with power, everything to do with electronics, gearboxes & dwarf riders. Take away the electronics, gearbox and put a big bloke on it who won't fit and I can't see it being that competitive. The Aprilias will be faster once they give them air valves. In truth, the valve spring 1000cc Hondas won't be as uncompetitive as they were at 800cc but I still see it as a major disadvantage

YourNameHere

August 29, 2013 9:28 PM

I like Redding and have enjoyed watching his success in Moto2 this year, but IMHO he just doesn't seem to have the outright speed to pose any real threat to Marquez & Co. for the top podium step. I hope he proves me wrong, because he seems a good guy. Seems like he's leading the M2 championship due to consistency rather than any blazing turn of speed.

Dutch69Camaro

August 29, 2013 9:28 PM

Casey has been testing this machine a few weeks ago. My bet Honda is making sure that it's about 2 - 4 sec's a lap slower than the full factory one, so a good rider can get close to the front and show what he is capable of. Obviousely not to beat their No.1....not that they have to worry with MM on it at the moment. But good luck to Scott and lets see what he can do on it!

McGrath2Showtime

August 29, 2013 9:37 PM

Hi guys

Mc in the house!

This is the opinion I share with you on the redding story:

The more Brits the better for starts but I always said redding deserved a ride in gp before Bradley! Although brad is coming good now, I believe if redding had the tech3 yam he'd be doing at least if not better than cal.

Watch in a couple of seasons it will be redding vs tuna with last lap passes etc

He's hungry and thirsty for more! I hope to see him up there next season proving his awsome talent!

Just read mcn there's some really cool pics of sic58 when he's young! What a shame he's not mixing it up now he was awsome!

Grendlehop

August 29, 2013 10:03 PM

Best wishes to Scott. He's a brave kid. I'm not criticizing his choice to ride the Honda PR in the least. He's signed a 2 year deal, which in my mind is a smart move. Nobody will have too high expectations of him for 2014 which will let him focus on developing the machine. I do expect the Honda PR to be able to mix it up with factory Ducati boys. I'm anxious to see how the Forward Racing Team machinery stacks up against the non-factory Honda's & M1's. Next year is going to be epic!

Grendlehop

August 29, 2013 10:34 PM

I think it's a little amusing how HRC is going to be selling customer machinery without pneumatic valves, when Aprilia are supposedly coming out with the very set-up for their machine. Also, with more engines, fuel and the option for softer rubber, as the CRTs are currently able to run, the non-factory riders of any make should be worried about this new breed on the grid!

johnny13

August 29, 2013 10:54 PM

according to figures the proddy's will be around 5% down on power. Also hampered by the ECU.

However and this is just my theory, if you can run higher revs for longer without the ecu cutting in to conserve fuel (extra 4l) and run those without fear of knackering an engine (more engine allocation) whilst doing so on softer rubber..........could be very interesting to see what a young decent rider could do with the outcome. I for one cant wait as I remember the 2stroke 4 cyclinder mix and it was fun to watch

Spinach

August 29, 2013 11:27 PM

Yay, another great rider is "Forced" to ride inferior machinery in "The pinnacle of motorcycle racing". Meh.

Honestly, I don't know how these warriors do it. Ride their sacks off, knowing they will not win a race, or even come close.

Let the manufacturers make a single model bike to put on the grid. Whatever team wants to lease it, go ahead. All parts available to all teams, at the same price. Open book.

Sure, today most teams would lease a Honda, so maybe Yamaha would lease a little cheaper to entice some sponsors? Repeat.

In the end, I think you would have factories making balls out machine (as they do now) but all riders of that make would have the same chance (in theory) of being top dog.

But what do I know?

Good for Scott though, he made it.

Waxwing

August 29, 2013 11:47 PM

Let's stay positive, this is great news, it's a very good team and I'm sure if good results come together the second year of the contract should see him on an even better Honda. Really pleased for him, he'll be in the shop window proper.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  »