MotoGP » Redding officially confirmed at Gresini Honda

'I'll be racing alongside the best riders in the world, aboard the brand-new Honda production racer, so I know already how steep a learning curve it's going to be' - Scott Redding

Cubikrube

August 30, 2013 12:40 PM

I have already seen that the deal is for one year on the proddy followed by a full factory prototype the year after. Scott is happy as it gives him a year to learn.
Crutchlow did not have a good first year and it remians to be seen if Pol will either although the 1000's are easier to get a lap time out of than the 800's were.
To me as already stated , this is a really positive move. Looking forward to next year already although i don't think he will be competitive with Pol next year, the Tech3 bike should be far superior so i will be rating Scott based on the bikes of a similar capability.
Massive Scott fan and full of belief in him Go #45!!

dacron

August 30, 2013 1:38 PM

the honda production bike is actually a prototype , its only real downfall is the spec ECU it will have onboard , pretty sure honda will be giving him plenty upgrades as they come along.

Fozly

August 30, 2013 2:00 PM

@ TalentFan I agree entirely Honda are utterly ruthless and have all of motogp in their pocket.

I'm not sure this level of domination is healthy for the sport. However I'm afraid we may be between a rock and a hard place. In the current economic climate if everybody stopped doing as Honda say what would happen? Their financial investment in all of this is huge.

Personally I want it to go the same way as F1. Manufacturers produce engines supplied to say at least 3-4 teams each and you prototype the rest in house at each team. I expect Honda would still rise to the top.

raju

August 30, 2013 2:35 PM

This guy deserves a factory prototype. Bautista should use a production racer rather. He had enough time with prototypes and hasnt proved anything so far with Honda and Suzuki.

Garcia

August 30, 2013 2:49 PM

@Talent Fan

Well that's Motogp, it's a technology competition as well as a riders competition. If all bikes where the same it wouldn't be Motogp, it would be something else.

When I started watching in the late nineties Doohan was n1 and back then if you wanted to win you had to be on a Honda, it was as simple as that. That doesn't mean Doohan wasn't talented, but it was the combination of best rider and best bike that made them so dominant. Now with the Marquez-Honda combo it is looking like they've found another winning combination and another Honda reign is about to commence. Honda have been waiting a long time for that.

Yamaha on their other hand have lost their edge. When Rossi first went to Honda, won two tittles and then left for Yamaha it was a truly rebellious act against Honda. Imagine Marquez deciding to leave Honda for Ducati next year because Lorenzo keeps saying Marquez's only winning because he's on the best bike, as Biaggi used to say back then. That's what what Rossi

Garcia

August 30, 2013 3:00 PM

Cont..

That's what Rossi did, and together with Furusawa they managed to turn the Yamaha into a winning bike. The Yamaha-Rossi combo then has gone to dominate for years. But the tables have turned again. Furusawa left, Rossi moved to Ducati, whatever the reasons, Honda have moved forward in development and now not only do they have a stronger bike, they have Marc Marquez. It's Honda time again I'm afraid.

AvTech37

August 30, 2013 8:21 PM

@Garcia
I tend to agree with you. To be frank, I can see MM possibly winning the WC this year and 2014 and 2015! I know that's a bold statement but he is unbelievably quick and the Honda is undoubtedly the bike of the moment. I take my hat off to him (and he smiles when he's on the podium unlike a certain CS) but I don't want to see a return to the Doohan years with total Honda domination.

« 3 4 5 6 7