MotoGP » Rossi: I’ve never seen a rookie like Marquez

"I've never seen a rookie like him, in all the motorsports I know" - Valentino Rossi.

Joeski

September 01, 2013 4:17 PM

We need to get away from saying if MM was on a 500 he could or could not do this. Every star rookie performs/compete on the same type machinery as the top guys in that era. Doohan did it, Rossi did it in 2000, JL did it in 2008 and now MM is doing it in 2013!! and he is on similar machinery to the top guys, just as Rossi and JL were!
Like Kenny he is bidding to win the title in rookie year. Unlike Kenny, he is now the only Rookie to win 5 in his rookie year in the entire 65 year of GP racing!!!

Is MM the best rookie ever... Win the title! and he will be!! Don't win the title and he could still be!! because of what he already (results) achieved.

Is MM the best rookie on a 500cc... NO! he never rode one!!

Is he a better rookie than my favorite rider, Rossi? YES! and Rossi said so!

Is MM the greatest ever...NO! Lot more years to go before that!

Joeski

September 01, 2013 4:24 PM

@ percyanethel

"...golden child, best bike, best team mechanics etc No other rookie..."

Very untrue/incomplete statement. No other rookie this year!! would be correct but in 2008, did Lorenzo not step on to a certain Yamaha M1. Was Rossi not on a factory Honda as a rookie?? Was Pedrosa not on a full repsol kit??

Correct me if I am wrong but none of those riders accomplished what MM has today in their rookie year!! So explain why you are singling him out as some over-gifted rookie when majority of all the great stars were all in the same position and never achieved this!!

mnsekh111

September 01, 2013 4:34 PM

Marquez himself admitted that it was easier for him to adapt to the 1000cc motogp bike from a 600cc 4 stroke Moto2 bike. Rossi had to adapt from 250cc to the beasty 500cc.
Only time will tell.

Rossi's career saw a lot of changes 500cc..1000cc--800cc lot of new tracks..lot of rule changes--lot of big decisions like leaving honda...For me he's the most complete rider. Honda had always been the one step ahead of yamaha..but still vale won it...He's a true genius...i will keep marquez in the level of rossi...only when he takes big decisions and tries to be adventurous unlike pedrosa who has been with honda for the entire career..

VicariousR1

September 01, 2013 4:53 PM

Valentino is just not fast enough, never was and is not likely to be no matter what bike you put him on. His style is all late braking and block passes, arms and legs everywhere and mind games. These strategies don't work now and probably haven't been that effective since 06 since the main protagonists realised that all you needed to do was get in front of him from the start and hurtle off into the distance. This was boring racing for a while but now we have three fast guys it is starting to get interesting again, if only Casey was there then we would have four.

mnsekh111

September 01, 2013 8:02 PM

@VicariousR1 ...I bet you didn't know there was a sport called MotoGP in 2006. Don't speak abt rossi if you haven't actually watched him race. So for you..starting in front and hurtling off into distance is exciting but rossi's ride is boring...please don't kid yourself. KID

Codger

September 02, 2013 9:57 AM

@VicariousR1.......Maybe not 4. Casey retired because he couldn't hack it. Your desires won't bring him back.

You may as well say bring back Doohan, Roberts SNR, AGO, et al. After all they were more successful than Casey.

FYI I would like to see Stoner still racing..... but not to come out of retirement.

VicariousR1

September 02, 2013 8:59 PM

Maybe I should explain in simpler terms. Yes I, enjoyed watching Casey race, his mastery of the machine was sublime and IMO no one else came close and yes I too would like to see him race again but no, not out of retirement. He made his decision and he should stand by it.
And, I have been watching since and before 06 and I stand by my remark. Valentino was 'fun' to watch when he could 'fight', but he is not fast in motogp terms, as I said, that is not his style.
BTW I have never held a particularly partisan view, if anything I tend to support the underdog whoever that might be.

Rickykwak

September 03, 2013 11:31 AM

Rossi is right because if Honda hadnt have had the rules changed then no rookies on a prototype bike would still apply!
Not saying the guy cant ride he can but this chance was not available to the like of Crutchlow and others,
Still i suppose all the Money Honda pump in to it and the Engines for MOTO2 Ezpalata will listen to them!

herewego

September 03, 2013 1:04 PM

There is probably only Valentino Rossi who is prepared to say something like this and really mean it! Valentino appreciates the talent young Marquez has and shows genuine amazement at what Marc can do . Jorge and Danny however seem to be jealous to death and don't how to handle the youngster.

« 2 3 4 5 6 7  »