MotoGP » Poncharal talks MotoGP calendar expansion

“When Argentina and Brazil are knocking on the door and Russia might be interested you can't just say that we have enough races” - Herve Poncharal, IRTA.

andrew2k

September 10, 2013 3:06 AM

I'll say this and say this again, but if it was me who was calling the shots at Dorna I would get rid of all 3 american rounds.

Yes america is a big market with alot of potential big name sponsors for the sport, but when you take a real look into reality its also the least receptive to motorsports of any kind, that include NASCAR and for that reason it doesn't make any business sense to stage races there. Don't even get me started with Spies, Edwards and Hayden because even in america the sports media act as if these guys don't exist.

@RSMick

Its not less of Spain we need, but what we need is more non-spanish talent(no hard feelings towards spanish fans). Sadly given the reluctance of teams to recruit talent from places like AMA, WSBK, MJS, etc its going to be business as usual.

shamarone

September 10, 2013 4:53 AM

re: "they will need to re negotiate the Qatar deal and move them down the calendar"

re: "Sunday spectator numbers. Qatar 9,704"

re: "Ditch Quatar"

re: "For me Qatar is a huge false start to the season."

at the risk of being in agreement with mick (ugh, the horror), i'd like to point out there are AT LEAST 4 posters in this thread who haven't been paying attention.

shamarone

September 10, 2013 5:35 AM

re: "I don't have an assurance that we will go to 20 races next year but I completely support that we need to have more races.”

do me a favor, get an assurance of MORE ENGINES and then get back to me...? if we're stuck at 5...? then that means 1 engine has to last 4 rounds minimum. this also means Yamaha will need time to type a press release announcing their IMMEDIATE withdrawal from grandprix. 24hrs should suffice.

re: "When Argentina and Brazil are knocking on the door and Russia might be interested you can't just say that we have enough races."

oh no...? watch me ponchy.

however (comma) as a WORL' CHAMPEEN for rider's rights, I will present the idea to the tired/huddled/stitched/titanium plated masses if (and only if) the teams/riders are allowed to pick 2 rounds in which their results can be discarded. in essence, you'll have your 20 rounds, but they'll only be scored on 18. gotta give to get. don't make me UNIONIZE...!

shamarone

September 10, 2013 5:40 AM

re: “For comparison, the draft version of the 2014 F1 calendar contains 21 races”

FAIL. bad comparo. rarely do any of those modern F1 primadonna's continue racing fresh from double collarbone surgery...? or are seen “crutching” themselves to and from their cars.

rdc

September 10, 2013 7:44 AM

@andrew2k

Don't blame the teams for following the most obvious method and successful way of finding riders. If you want to enter MotoGP, it is pretty clear you start with Moto3, if you want to ride your national level championships BSB, AMA thats fine, but you will have a hard time going to GP with sucess after

Codger

September 10, 2013 9:00 AM

Shamarone....I haven't the IQ needed to work out whether you agree with me or not. I have campaigned for the rider's right to drop their worst results in the past, so I agree with you.

krispradez

September 10, 2013 10:56 AM

I like the idea of having the ability to drop bad results. so if somebody "accidentally" headbut your bike and got a DNF, you can say, well screap the results from that race.

more like the challenge point in Wimledon.

Tetley

September 10, 2013 12:27 PM

RSMick, Codger, and even Shamarone have made good points.

With such a long gap in the "closed" season, here in UK I get withdrawal symptoms so from a selfish viewpoint it would make great sense to add some Southern Hemisphere races during our Winter.

But what no-one appears to have considered is that moving from 18 to 20 races represents more than a 10 per cent increase in risk of injury or worse for the riders. It also means less time for re-recuperation following injury. OK, many of them are very well paid, but some aren't and they will all be asking themselves "will the extra risk be worthwhile?"

Even the Aliens are Humans and their bodies and brains need time to relax and heal and unwind from the constant pressures and dangers of riding on the limit of disaster each and every lap and carrying incompletely healed injuries from one race to another.

« 1 2 3 4 5  »