MotoGP » Espargaro: I really want to change bikes

"I'm doing a big effort to move but it's not easy. Both teams are in talks" - Aleix Espargaro.

JimmyTheRealOne

September 26, 2013 5:27 PM

That ART is an amazing bike anyway considering it's based on a superbike machine. With major upgrades and features like seamless gearbox it would be nice if it could compete at least with the customer specs M1 and RC214V prototypes.

Conrice

September 26, 2013 5:50 PM

He'll basically be riding a bike like Bradley Smith has. That's most likely the competitiveness the Forward team will have next year, but certainly not more than that. So I would be looking at it through those lenses.

And he's tied with Smith already without those upgrades. I do think rider v rider - Aleix is probably the better rider though. But even so, I'd have to think he'll be around that level next yea - and thus he won't be moving up that much.

I don't see it being that big of a change. And if Aprilia really steps up, it could be the seriously wrong decision.

Kwack636R

September 26, 2013 6:04 PM

@JimmyTheRealOne - that Aprilia WSBK started life intended as a GP bike if I'm not mistaken. I think Aprilia have used the CRT rules very cleverly for developing their return as a manufacturer to GP.

Insidejob

September 26, 2013 7:03 PM

I expect both brothers to do well. I think Pol will be faster than Cal on the same bike after just a few races.
@ Conrice Bradley's bike is a full factory prototype without the latest bits, almost like Cal's which is very close to the full factory bikes minus the new seamless shifter

JcRacing

September 26, 2013 8:00 PM

I think he may well regret leaving Aprilia now. It will be the first time for Hayden as the #1 rider and Espargaro may end up having to watch the bike that could have been his pulling away and challenging for a top 5 on a regular basis. I think Aprilia's decision to run the spec software is Ezpeleta's dream come true, as it considerably lowers the investment necessary to be competitive. The next step would be to allow even less fuel for the MSMA and watch their rule, created to price the competition away, backfire on them.

Conrice

September 27, 2013 1:53 AM

@Vixen - I totally agree. He's been proving himself for the last couple of years against the top level riders - it should be his turn, not Pol's. Let Pol grind it out for a few years back in the pack.

@Inside Job - My point was that Bradley has the least competitive Yamaha out of the 4. His M1 is still quite a bit behind Cal's. Best case scenario is that NGM would have that level of bike - best case. And look at where Bradley is - tied with Aleix already. It'll be a step forward for NGM, but for Aleix? I'm not so sure.

It all depends on how much better that Aprilia is next year. If Aprilia steps it up - then Aleix could have just paid a lot of money out of his own pocket to leave a more competitive team.

JcRacing

September 27, 2013 2:10 AM

As much as I think Smith is doing a good job in his rookie year, if Aleix Espargaro's Forward M1 is at the same level, He will have a much better chance than Smith, given his experience. Also, Poncharal has said that both his riders will have identical machines next year, so, by the end of the year, we should be able to compare Pol Espargaro and Smith. I expect Espargaro to be riding close to Smith by then.

LLarry

September 27, 2013 9:26 AM

Kwack636R has it right - the Aprilia motor was designed from the start as a pure race engine and then detuned to fit into the RSV4 bike to achieve the WSB homologation.
The ART MotoGP bike basically takes this motor and puts it into a modified prototype 250cc frame.
The end result is a highly effective motorcycle and Aspar has had a superior package from Aprilia compared to the other players. Whilst taking nothing away from Aleix's performances, the Aspar bike is probably far closer to the prototypes than to other CRT bikes.
If Aprilia upgrade the motor, even to the (higher) spec of the WSB motor, then this will be a seriously competitive package.
Compare this to riding a one year old M1 engine in a FTR frame and I know which option I would chose.

1 2  »