MotoGP » Marquez: I just touched Pedrosa a little bit

Rookie MotoGP championship leader Marc Marquez talks Dani Pedrosa incident - Race Direction launches investigation...

TalentFan

September 29, 2013 8:21 PM

Agree with ballistic7 that the electronics are forcing riders to make more and more marginal overtake attempts as the electronics optimise every inch of track and take away both human error and human ingenuity.

MM is the most aggressive and opportunistic rider IMO, and the paradox is that the electronics not only play to his aggression, but they create the need for it, AND stop him pinging himself into A&E.

I tend to think that a return to putting the rider back in charge instead of the tech would see a swing back in favour of the old-school guys who needed feel and finesse in their throttle hands. Good old SKILL not raw aggression.

But the Hero can become a Zero in 1 mistimed move. Imagine if MM hadn't ended Willairots career, but instead had torpedoed Rossi into retirement? Imagine how MM would be viewed THEN!

TalentFan

September 29, 2013 8:37 PM

@ herbsman

Being the best rookie ever is pretty meaningless and hollow when you get presented with a package that is better than 95% of the opposition, and a package WAY better percentage-wise than anything any rookie before him had.

The shame of it is that MM might (MIGHT) just BE the best rookie ever. But there will ALWAYS be a massive doubt with anyone who actually thinks about it as to whether he just won because he had massively unfair advantages.

This is Dorna's fault as they have facilitated MM's fast-track AND the unholy multi-tiered mess that is MotoGP.

razghost

September 29, 2013 8:51 PM

Ok after reading some of the comments here's my opinion. Firstly I think RD is making the right choice as much as I do believe it was a racing incident, it is still one that could of been easily avoided and could have caused serious injury. Please bear in mind that just because an investigation is under way does not mean they just want to penalise riders just make a fair decision and take measures so it doesn't happen again.

With that out the way about the accident, it was undeniably Marc's fault but that is racing, he tried his best to avoid dani but damaged his bike in the process, it's just one of those things. The fault also lies with honda, how on earth the sensor can be that vulnerable especially on the right side which has the exhaust on I don't know.

Next all the talk on over reliance on electronic is all BS, it has been said time and time again that TC only reduces slip in order to preserve the tyre and reduce low slides due to a worn out tyre. When it has been damaged witho

ballistic7

September 29, 2013 9:00 PM

@everyone

No question that Honda and Yamaha have some pretty awesome technology. How that relates to success or failure of riders in the now, vs yesteryear, is impossible to say. Life is about adaptation. Maybe Marc Marquez, Jlo, Petrobot, Cstoner are the best adapters in the new technology ride game, then again, maybe they would excel without all the technology in "old school" racing. who knows? Not us, impossible to compare. I am fracking 60 years old going on 20, and at my regional trackdays, I ride in the expert class and off about 95% of my fellow riders, so would I have been somebody famous had I had the chance when young? Who knows? Not me! I do think it gives me a little insight into these racers and I think Marc is evidently a good adapter to current technology in bikes, but, he may have been superfast, relatively, without it. Who knows? It has been exciting to see Marc come along with his riding skills and enthusiasm, I did not watch him in mot

jambop

September 29, 2013 9:02 PM

I think every body should keep their powder dry here. As far as I know there has been no official confirmation that the damage was actually cause by a collision and not after the bike was take back to the pit. It could be that it was damaged returning the bike. There may never be any confirmation but if this was an incident between two different makes of bike this information would have to be supplied because no other team would accept Honda's explanation. There is nothing unusual about someone losing control of a bike which is being canned away from a corner even with traction control. The real culprit here is Suppo he talked out of turn and sowed the seed of doubt, I don't think Honda will be best pleased. Suppo should have said nothing he had made a villian of his rider.

pogo

September 29, 2013 9:13 PM

So was it mms fault because he damaged the traction control on pedros bike, or pedros fault because ' as has been said time and again tc only reduces tyre slip in order to preserve the tyre and prevent lowsides'
Surely it cant be both, either mm broke dps tc and that resulted in the highside as dp was expectingmit to catch the slide, or tc wouldnt prevent the highside, which means it wouldnt matter if it was disabled at that point?!

jambop

September 29, 2013 9:14 PM

In addition to the above. I personally cannot take seriously that Honda could possibly make a motorcycle where such an important function could b deemed inoperable by a collision that barely registered a reaction from either bike. Pedrosa's bike was not knocked off line and Marquez merely ran wide and re-joined the track. The video's are on you tube now for inspection if that is classed as a collision god help moto gp we will be having exclusion zones being put up around bikes or no trying to overtake on a corner rules coming in. To be honest this investigation situation would be classed as laughable if it were not for the fact it taking place!

« 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  »