MotoGP » Casey Stoner rides Honda MotoGP Production Racer

"We also tried the production bike which was more impressive than I predicted" - Casey Stoner.

SmokinHaddock

October 03, 2013 5:05 PM

@shpongled, most of what you say is a very good analysis.

I take issue with your R6 max lean max revs no problem. Max revs at max lean on a bike with 100+bhp is more than capable of sending you into orbit, so plenty of power to cause an issue. I have highsided far less powerful bikes, and any decent club race meeting will provide you with regular examples of that, good or bad riders. The moto3 riders do it regularly. You are absolutely correct about the average road riders skill though, so why not make them safer?

As for seamless gearbox, well my car has that type of set up (dual gearbox and bike style clutch, preselects the next gear) and its a joy and improves economy.

shpongled

October 03, 2013 5:09 PM

Haddock - you're correct, if the conditions aren't absolutely perfect and the application of power is not super-smooth high sides can happen. I've high-sided a 125cc with 12 bhp in my younger days! But if a 600cc has enough power to highside, why do people want 1000cc bikes? We know the answer to that one already!

SmokinHaddock

October 03, 2013 5:26 PM

Shpongled, I raced minitwins for a couple of seasons, you know the SV650s. Its a bit egotistical, but one of the things that put a smile on my face was doing the very occassional track day (sneaky practice) and blowing away the fast group litre boys in their Dainesse Dayglo leathers. I know exactly what you mean about why have anything bigger than a 600 (although I had the pleasure of riding Brno this year on a 675, and got blown away myself on Honda Horsepower Hill!).

I still think road bikes should have TC because there will always be riders not in control, and as much as we can mock them, I wouldn't want to see any of them hurt, and on a bad day it might be me.

SmokinHaddock

October 03, 2013 5:39 PM

LC,

I know so sad. Flown first class, paid a fortune no doubt, riding the best bikes on the planet for fun. None of us would want to do that. I'd much sooner be sat at home on this laptop.

What have you 'wussed' out of recently? Anything notable? Maybe you failed to floss this morning?

TalentFan

October 03, 2013 6:16 PM

Mfrs like Honda want to be in racing not for the Sport, but for what they can get out of it. Businesses want to crush opposition and eliminate competition, which means its ultimately a pi$$ing contest and these guys don't care about winning FAIR, just so long as they WIN.

For Independent teams, they WANT & NEED a level playing field as its not just success they need, but great RACING as the product (as this is what the public tune in for) - so great racing is good for them all.

The Race Series ALSO by definition - ITS product to sell IS Racing also. Different needs to the Mfrs, geddit?

This is why Dorna have sold MotoGP out. The organisers allow MotoGP to be a unfair series so it can be a vehicle to suit the Mfrs, at the EXPENSE ofWHAT A RACE SERIES IS FOR!

Want to know why we have a multi-tier system, not a fair one. Ask Dorna, cos its their job to see that it is, and they ain't doing it.

pcxmac

October 03, 2013 6:37 PM

The MFRs are an important part of the equation, but the real advantage between the factories and the satellite teams are the electronics. Get rid of the non-essential electronics, no TC, and bring back Michelin and Dunlop, and try to pull in Pirelli, more competition is good, more control this and control that turns the series in to an exceptionally boring one where you have to be a complete dumb **** not to know whats going to happen.

No factories in GPs unless they sell the same bikes/motors, and no TC and bring back the tires.
If lessor teams want to build prototypes, let them, keep factories with homologated production racers.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  »