MotoGP » Smith matches best qualifying display in Spain

'As soon as I put the soft rear tyre in I felt really good and I put in a terrific lap' - Bradley Smith

mrfill

November 09, 2013 5:20 PM

Will we ever hear the words "yeah, no problems. The bike feels really good"?

I'm beginning to wonder if he is a good rider but hopeless at setting up. The lets-see-what-happens-if-we-twiddle-this approach to set up occasionally comes good, as today, but more often fails.

Fukkit58

November 09, 2013 6:29 PM

Give him JB to sort the setup next year and lets have a flying brit again.

I hope I wasn't the only one hoping he was going to keep that front row position.

Let us not forget he is on the oldest machinery of the top 6 as-well.

JcRacing

November 09, 2013 7:21 PM

@Mrfill
I'm old enough to have seen a rider say the bike was excellent. It was Eddie Lawson, in 1988, when he won the US Grand Prix, in Laguna Seca. He said then that his crew gave him a bike so good all he had to do was to hang on for the ride. A racebike is a pile of compromises, it is never going to be perfect. That's why riders always have problems with one aspect or another.

Bluemurder

November 10, 2013 12:41 AM

Don't know if it's down to rider or team, probably some of both, but carrot top's made really good unflashy progress this season. I think if he gets the same bike as other Yamaha riders next year he could be challenging for a podium or two by mid season. He seems to have picked up the knack of getting a good start. Perhaps he could team up with JB next season.

Kwack636R

November 10, 2013 3:42 AM

Smith was on the Mistral...

I've been really impressed with Bradley this year, despite being on lesser machinery than Cal he's never complained about it and just got on with finding the best setup for what he's got.

Compare that to Cal's whinging about not getting factory parts, and then (on Bikesport News yesterday) whinging that he's got them and can't change back.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Cal's, but Bradley's attidude has to be commended and he fully deserves the factory test this week.

Fullofit

November 10, 2013 10:03 AM

I'm amazed that there are so many people on here that celebrate mediocrity.

I can only imagine they're BS's classmates & family ... otherwise I'm worried about what it says about society in general.

SmokinHaddock

November 10, 2013 11:45 AM

Mediocrity? Think you'd better look up the definition, because it doesn't correlate with 6th on the grid in the premier class with two better bikes and more experienced riders behind. When are you going to give this guy a chance? I'm sure society would benefit from a more magnanimous Fullofit :)

1 2  »