MotoGP » EXCLUSIVE Herve Poncharal (IRTA) - Q&A

“We might see some of these Open MotoGP bikes quicker than our [factory] bikes so we might soon all switch to that class” - Herve Poncharal.

JimmyTheRealOne

December 06, 2013 8:55 PM

How exactly 'Open' is a class where everyone is forced to use the same ECU? I really liked MotoGP during the 2002-2006 seasons. Since the introduction of 800cc engines it went downhill.

And Moto2 is a total joke, not a success. A GRAND PRIX class where everyone is forced to use the same engine taken from a road bike? Gimme a break.

VKal

December 06, 2013 10:48 PM

Squeeze the factory guys with all kind of ridicules restriction than claim open class bikes will go faster. It's like forcefully slowing down factory bikes with restriction, so that others can participate and match. This pushes the factory guys to innovate new tech to fill up the shortfall. I mean completing the race and winning with 21 or 20 litre of fuel is one example. But restricting them from using advance parts will slow down this innovation. Isn't MotoGP suppose to be the proving ground for new tech for future consumers market?

Whapper

December 07, 2013 9:54 AM

@JimmyTheRealOne Wow!, Moto2 a total joke? To me it's one of the greatest successes there is. I think there are 2 kinds of fans, those who like the technology and glamour and those that like the racing. I like the racing regardless of where I find it. For me the important thing is that the rider has a machine that they can express their talents on and that that machine is available to all riders on the grid. I tend to look forward to motorcycle racing in the following order:
BSS
Moto2
BSB
WSS
WSBK
Moto3
MotoGP
I don't care what the technical level of the bike is, they're all fast enough, I just want the riders to be able to battle it out on track.

Paddles

December 07, 2013 10:58 AM

HP give us the best perspective on the show that is MotoGP, he should write a column. The only thing I disagree with him on, is that ALL riders have to bring money to the team table one way or another, regardless of their ability or what team they are in. Some bring it in with personal sponsorships paying their way and contributing to the team, others bring new sponsors to the team directly who in turn pay the rider or keep existing sponsors for the team. There's no such thing as a free ride for anybody in motorsport, the entire show runs on sponsorship money generated by the riders one way or another.

RSMick

December 07, 2013 1:09 PM

Vkal, whilst I agree with what you have said you have missed the point of the factory requested fuel and engine limitatioms, read again. In a green world we are not looking so much for all out power, our road bikes have too much already. As with moto2, the championship is looking towards chassis, suspension, aerodynamics and tyre technology to move forward. The fuel strategies will still be important if they all have to go spec software in 17.

Chadsays

December 07, 2013 1:26 PM

I've been following grand prix since 97 avidly, and this is one of the most insightful interviews I remember seeing, also brings the business perspective of some of the changes being proposed/made. I'm new to Crash.net, I enjoy the website and the comments of most on here.

1 2 3  »