MotoGP » EXCLUSIVE Nicky Hayden - Q&A

Nicky Hayden: I destroyed a set of leathers from saving two crashes on the hard tyre and the soft is way too soft...

Chadsays

May 03, 2014 10:50 PM

Just be the first Honda-light. Finish ahead of Cal, Pol, or Colin don't fall off and hope there's a train wreck up front. I'm sorry you deserve more, but play the hand you're dealt. Get off this bike next year if you can, and get something more competitive in this or another series.

reinmacre

May 04, 2014 12:46 AM

Nicky certainly is getting the most out of the production Honda. To be faster than Bautista in Q1 is impressive and confirms that if and when Aspar gets some help from HRC, or in Nicky's case, perhaps American Honda, NH69 will be racing at the other end of the top ten.

daskengluckskind

May 04, 2014 1:19 AM

Chadsays: Just be the first Honda-light. Finish ahead of Cal, Pol, or Colin don't fall off and hope there's a train wreck up front.

" think tomorrow is going to be a long race and we'll see a lot of guys putting it in the gravel tomorrow so I'll try and stay on and fight with some Factory riders " Nicky Hayden

Both sums up the Hayden (and fans) strategy of "hoping to capitalize". I suppose it works to move up a few places.... In any case it was/is clear Hayden does not have a race pace and was able to predictably place a fast one on the special soft tyre - but it clearly wont wont do for the duration of the race - as the track is abrasive, it will be hot and the sun is a scorcher.

Though, he could do one of those "gambles" and run the soft to run up front for a few laps and "if" the tyre goes he can just say the gamble did not work. Though, this route may prove to be impossible (as the soft will likely be destroyed mid race).

Anyway, warmup will be

Chadsays

May 04, 2014 3:02 AM

Actually my 1st post (the one at the top of this thread), I'd like to amend, I don't want there to be a "train wreck" as I wish no possible injuries to any rider. I do however wish to see Nicky on competitive machinery in this or another series instead of the Honda-light that is only capable of a 10th place or less, unless of attrition.

Chadsays

May 05, 2014 12:04 PM

daskengluckskind:
FasterEddie69: Nicky looks to fight with the factory boys and Scott wants to beat Nicky. I like Nicky's target better.

Please don't go with a soft front.

He went for the soft everything. Amazingly it worked !!

No Kenlucky, from The report I read it was soft rear only, you seem to be amazed by this, based on the number of times you mentioned it in this and other threads. Quite simply a veteran rider weighing risk/reward to give his team's race craft any edge he can find. Now I hope that clears it up for you. There are a lot of really good amateur racers on this site who can probably help explain racing and strategy to you in more detail if you need additional help.