MotoGP » Scott Redding pulls out of TT appearance

"Karl and Bob are both guys that I know and their deaths have hit me harder than I expected. Honestly, I'm devastated" - Scott Redding.

iusedtobesleepy

June 04, 2014 2:29 PM

Totally support Scott for his point of view. If anyone criticising him takes the time to read the interview they will realise Scott lost a valued friend this week. I must point out to @beastinblack anyone that thinks the IOM relies on the TT for its economy ought to do some research!!!!

Greavesit

June 04, 2014 2:05 PM

cossiegaz: Very strange comments from Scott, when you consider his very unfortuanate involvement in the Tomizawa incident and then what happened to Simoncelli in very similar circumstances not long after and him still choosing to continue racing in GP's you would think he would have made an educated decision before agreeing to appear at the TT only to drop out for emotional reasons and publicly bad mouth the event at the last minute. Everyone who enters knows the risks they take and nobody forces them to enter.

Agreed. It's not like its anything new. Based on this theory Scott you should retrie and take up tiddly winks

Joan Williams

June 04, 2014 2:01 PM

Totally agree with Scott Redding, The bikes are too fast for road racing these days, even experienced competitors like Gary Johnson crash, a real surprise to me, but thank goodness he's only got minor injuries and will be OK. Those walls, trees etc are very unforgiving. No nice gravel traps there. The accidents to Tomizawa and Simoncelli were freak accidents, which do happen occasionally at circuits, but they are so much safer than racing on narrow public roads between walls, hedges, trees and houses.

My best racing friend started doing the TT in 2012, and I hate it. OK the racers know the risks but I think they put them to the back of their minds, it's the families and friends who suffer. I'm so nervous when he's out on the circuit, I watch live timing and can't wait for him to get to the next timing point.

You can all keep the TT who want it, but I sure don't, I was never interested in the TT until my friend started doing it, and just wish he wouldn't.

beastinblack

June 04, 2014 1:45 PM

Ben1: Totally agree with Redding's comment. Cannot understand the guys who choose to take part in this... race.

What about the guys who have taken part in motogp since the 2011 Malaysian GP?

Riders fall all the time and we take it for granted that they will either get up or at least show some signs of movement, but there will be another time in the future when a fall just doesnt happen the right way. Look how Crutchlows bike smacked into Bradl. Hit at any other angle and it could have been curtains.

Nobody can guarantee fatalities wont happen again, even in the totally safe(?) F1, there is still a risk.

Riders/drivers are pretty much fighter pilots out there.

beastinblack

June 04, 2014 1:43 PM

I am not against people being turned off the TT (ie Redding) due to the fatalities (which is not anything new) but I cannot stand those do gooders who think it is time it ended.

I am upset by the fatalities too, but at the end of the day it is motorsport.

Without the TT the Isle of Man would have no economy, the men who race are not wet behind the ears. They know exactly what the risks are.

And just watching them being interviewed on TV it is obvious that they are not 'ordinary' people.

We must remember that there was a motogp fatality only 3 years ago, And who was he racing for? None other than Gresini racing.

cossiegaz

June 04, 2014 1:38 PM

bikenutter

June 04, 2014 1:29 PM

Honestly have nothing but respect for him for saying this. He's going to get hell from the world of the internet. His view is his own and I fully understand it. Whilst I love the TT I do not think I could actively promote it either. It's a deadly race and covering it in stardom shouldn't sugar coat how much risk the riders take.

They are incredibly brave men and women who race in the TT. The argument of 'it's their risk, let them take it' is fine but we shouldn't condemn those who act to express how deadly the TT is. If Scott doesn't want to be a part of it we shouldn't repress or berate him.

No one is suggesting we ban the TT but we should be open to talk about the issues.

kma55

June 04, 2014 2:53 PM

To anyone comparing it to the deaths in motogp, there is a big difference, he was good friends with the guys at the tt who passed away. The guys in motogp were probably just acquaintances that I'm sure he was sad for but not to this extent.
He is obviously gutted to lose 2 friends just days apart and now doesn't feel like waving to the crowds at the tt on a parade lap. Totally understandable so fair play to him.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »