MotoGP » More UK viewers watched BSB than MotoGP?

Peak of 155,000 Sunday UK viewers for MotoGP compared with 181,000 for BSB?

rbr46

August 11, 2014 2:41 PM

I'm a massive fan of motogp and enjoy it more than any other sport. However I'm only able to watch it because I have bt broadband. No way would I pay extra on top of my sky tv to have bt sport. These results are to be expected. Serves dorna right.

Strider

August 11, 2014 3:03 PM

I watch MotoGP online now thanks to the shoddy tv deal Dorna arranged with BT Sport. Last year most of us had two channels on which to watch MotoGP, now a huge chunk of fans have none. What a fantastic way to increase the visibility of the sport and grow its fan base.

Rowdy75

August 11, 2014 5:29 PM

My biggest problem is whenever I watch anything on btsport through my sky box, as soon as there is a hint of rain the channel becomes scrambled and unwatchable, while all other channels remain fine!, don't know if anyone else experiences this?

MotoGPete

August 11, 2014 5:45 PM

155,000 viewers for live coverage of the supposed pinnacle of 2 wheeled motor racing????!!! That s****y BBC gymnastic program averaged 3.2 million on Saturday evening FFS!!! Seriously Dorna what have you done to our sport and more importantly how do you honestly expect the teams to hang on to their sponsors with pitiful viewing figures like that? Lets put this into context, there were nearly half that amount watching last years race in the flesh at Silverstone last year!, seriously that is beyond shocking. If there is anyway of getting out of that BT deal it needs to be looked at and fast. Hell, I would even welcome Charlie Cox back if it meant getting this sport back on a platform where people could actually watch it!

neilv

August 11, 2014 4:24 PM

I watch BSB (Eurosport), WSB (Eurosport) and MotoGP (BT). I actually switched my broadband to BT just to get MotoGP included although I was disappointed to discover that I have to pay to get MotoGP in HD.

BT's coverage of MotoGP is good but the change from Eurosport / BBC is likely the issue compounded by Marquez constantly winning.

That said the racing has been good this year. 3 Brits in the top 10 at Indie is amazing and Moto 3 has been exceptionally good.

Liam48

August 11, 2014 3:42 PM

cont.
4. I believe the fact that there are different nationalities fighting up the front with the Brits then that attracts the fans add to that that there is no Brits near the front in MotoGP this season with have a loss of interest in the sport.

I am a huge MotoGP fan but knowing that Marquez will 99.9% (maybe 100%) of the time win the race then that sometimes makes me not want to tune in but I do in the hope that someone beats him but others may not tune in.

Even though i saw MotoGP from Oulton Park last night if it came to both being on at the same time and I was at home I'd watch BSB.

Insidejob

August 12, 2014 12:38 PM

What is not mentioned is that hundreds of thousands like myself have a subscription to MotoGP.com where one can watch any race in all classes from 1992 until today. BT Sport commentary however is better.

Shrimpling

August 12, 2014 10:50 AM

TheLucaFormat: It's not rocket science! BT charge so much for us to watch their channels. I don't believe Eurosport charge a frickin penny

I disagree with this... BT Sport is free for me bundled with my broadband, if I wanted Eurosport I would need to pay for Sky which is never going to happen.

In comparison to the BBC coverage I much prefer BT Sport. You always know they are going to show it and not ignore it for a bunch of hippies singing on a farm. You always get to see Moto 2 and 3 without needing to search for them and there is no Charlie Cox.

One point in relation to the numbers I believe a lot of viewers watch online or via the App which is not recorded in the reported viewing numbers.

KillingTime

August 12, 2014 9:40 AM

You're lucky if you are "forced" to watch NT. I had the misfortune of having to watch the Fox Sports American broadcast.

It was nothing short of embarrassing. The ignorant "commentator" Ralph Seeheen, doesn't seem to understand that when he is blathering about unimportant nonsense, there's a race going on. There was an exciting pass taking place (I forget which one) and he entirely talked right through it as if wasn't happening.

Scott Russel, while an ex-WSB Champ, is not a color commentator who knows how to pass on insider info in an exciting and timely way. He also lets the clueless and feckless Ralph Sheheen cut him off mid-sentence even if he is saying something of import.

The American team is so cheesy, and the broadcast so poorly executed that hardly bears paying attention to.

1 2 3  »