MotoGP » Kevin Schwantz talks Qatar

Motojunky

April 28, 2010 8:52 AM

Guilty as charged Bob.
Although fanboy sounds a bit derogatory, I, like hundreds of thousands of people, was a huge fan of Schwantz and proud of it. Also the fact that he rode a Suzi made it all that more rewarding. However I don't for one moment think that I can learn a lot from you because your to subjective. You do crack me up with some of your comments and how you reel people in. Happy fishing.

Pap's Mear - Unregistered

April 27, 2010 9:25 PM

Schwantz is popular with many, not just Americans for his intense and dazzling battles with Wayne Rainey. As long as the two of them were on track, it didn't matter who else was because for them, they were the only battle. That's not revisionist history nor a "happy ending". Which BTW is what you get at a less than reputable massage parlor.He never had the fastest bike out there, but he rode the wheels off of it everytime he raced. If you've seen him out brake Rainey into the stadium section at Sachsenring you know what I'm talking about. Even Rossi says that was the greatest racing of the last 20-25 years. Doohan's era was famous for it's lack of comptetion. Really who did he have to race?

Bob Buttamasangy

April 27, 2010 11:15 AM

Wosidog says, 'probably the outright fastest amongst legends'. Utter tripe! Pure speculation and opinion no more founded than the bloke who voted for Gobert! (not as far fetched as some may think either!).
If any of the top riders traded consistency for outright speed as recklessly as Schwantz did, they could have been every bit as spectacular and more. You have failed to prove me wrong again!
Junky, I don't doubt you were serious about Doohan for one second. My comment has at least brought you to your senses on that subject. Stick around, you might learn some more, Fanboy.

wosideg

April 26, 2010 7:18 PM

Bob, you're missing the point..

The reason fans love Schwantz is coz of his never say die attitude on the underdog bike..sure, he crashed a lot..some guys were more complete racers you say..Lawson granted, never seems to get acknowledgement, but Revvin Kevin was a one off..probably the outright fastest amongst legends, if not the most consistent..and with great style too.

Motojunky

April 26, 2010 1:56 PM

Jeez your a hard man Bob.
Schwantz kept the #34 on his bike and only ever wanted to change it to #1 if he became WC. Now heaps of riders do it, but back then I think he was the first to do so. So there was a bit of a stigma attached to it. Retiring any of Eddies numbers would have meant nothing to him or his fans. What about Spencer. Wins the 250 and 500 title in the same year, and no one talks about him either. That's life. Knew you would come in on the Doohan comment. Have to go fishing with you one day. Ha Ha.

Bob Buttamasangy

April 26, 2010 10:42 AM

I thought it was a good interview, certainly no revelations though! My comments weren't aimed directly at Schwantz but at the boneheads that get on here and reminisce about his career. It's funny, one real legend who deserved more accolades rarely gets a mention by the kiddies on this site, and I don't see any of Eddies' race numbers withdrawn out of 'respect'.
Now, if you care to argue my previous points, I'm listening, but as usual, expect nothing because although it burns you, you know I'm right!
BTW KS stays with Suzuki for 8 or so years, he is 'loyal'. Doohan wins 5 on the trot on a bike he developed, destroys a leg and destroys his career, and he's 'just riding the gravy train'. WTF!

1 2 3  »