Julian Simon emerged on top of a three-way battle with Bradley Smith and Andrea Iannone to claim pole position for his home 125cc Spanish Grand Prix at a windy Jerez.
Simon, the pre-season title favourite, held off Aspar Aprilia team-mate and Friday pace setter Smith by 0.197sec to claim his second pole of 2009.
Simon has finished second to Iannone at the first two rounds of the season and will be seeking his first grand prix win since 2005 on Sunday, while Smith is still chasing his first ever world championship race victory.
Championship leader Iannone, who fell at the end of yesterday's practice session, ran off track at the start of today's 40 minute qualifying session. The Italian also made several provisional pole appearances on his way to third for Ongetta Aprilia, with a best lap just 0.282sec from Simon.
Another Spaniard, Marc Marquez, completes the front row for KTM.
Qualifying - Jerez:
1. Simon (Aprilia) 1min 48.237sec
2. Smith (Aprilia) +0.197sec
3. Iannone (Aprilia) +0.282sec
4. Marquez (KTM) +0.694sec
5. Gadea (Aprilia) +0.718sec
6. Aegerter (Derbi) +1.000sec
7. Redding (Aprilia) +1.073sec
8. Webb (Aprilia) +1.116sec
9. Cortese (Derbi) +1.125sec
10. Espargaro (Derbi) +1.163sec
34. Hoyle (Haojue) +8.063sec (DNQ)