Alex Debon got his 2009 season back on track with a home pole position for the 250cc Spanish Grand Prix at Jerez.
Currently tenth in the championship, the Blusens Aprilia rider set a best lap time of 1min 43.028sec, enough to keep countryman Hector Barbera at bay by 0.289sec.
Reigning 250cc world champion Marco Simoncelli suffered a fast lowside - an exact replica of his morning fall - with three minutes to go whilst holding second position. The Italian was thus absent for the crucial closing minutes and dropped to third position on the grid, as he seeks to claim his first points of the season on Sunday.
Motegi winner and world championship leader Alvaro Bautista qualified on the outside of the front row in fourth for his home event.
Jules Cluzel, a shock second to Barbera in the Qatar season opener, claimed fifth position for Matteoni Racing.
Qualifying - Jerez:
1. Debon (Aprilia) 1min 43.028sec
2. Barbera (Aprilia) +0.289sec
3. Simoncelli (Gilera) +0.348sec
4. Bautista (Aprilia) +0.423sec
5. Cluzel (Aprilia) +0.493sec
6. Aoyama (Honda) +0.563sec
7. di Meglio (Aprilia) +0.764sec
8. Luthi (Aprilia) +0.836sec
9. Faubel (Honda) +0.863sec
10. Talmacsi (Aprilia) +1.030sec
26. Markham (Honda) +8.530sec (DNQ)