Hector Barbera made it three Spaniards on pole for all three grand prix races at Catalunya, after taking his first pole of the season in the 250cc qualifying session.
The Pepe World Aprilia rider, winner of the season-opening Qatar night race, finished the session 0.150sec ahead of countryman and world championship leader Alvaro Bautista, while reigning world champion Marco Simoncelli recovered from an early crash to claim third for Metis Gilera.
Swiss Thomas Luthi will complete the front row with Friday pace setter Alex Debon slipping to fifth, one place ahead of Bautista's nearest title rival Hiroshi Aoyama, who also tumbled early on this afternoon.
Qualifying - Catalunya:
1. Barbera (Aprilia) 1min 46.749sec
2. Bautista (Aprilia) +0.150sec
3. Simoncelli (Gilera) +0.159sec
4. Luthi (Aprilia) +0.332sec
5. Debon (Aprilia) +0.376sec
6. Aoyama (Honda) +0.417sec
7. Pasini (Aprilia) +0.476sec
8. Faubel (Honda) +0.630sec
9. di Meglio (Aprilia) +0.677sec
10. Wilairot (Honda) +0.810sec
25. Markham (Honda) +6.107sec