Crash.Net MOTOGP News
125: Terol stripped of second
27 June 2009
Nicolas Terol has been given a 20 second penalty for the last lap incident between himself and world championship leader Julian Simon and has thus lost second place in the 125cc Dutch TT.
Terol forced himself and Simon off track whilst attempting to retake the lead. Terol was able to use an escape round to rejoin in second, where he remained - just behind Sergio Gadea - while Simon returned to the track in third.
Race direction had announced an investigation into the incident immediately after the race.
The penalty means that Terol drops from second to fifth in the results, and that Simon now leads Aspar team-mate Bradley Smith by 5.5 points in the world championship.Revised race results - Assen:
1. Gadea (Aprilia)
2. Simon (Aprilia) +0.901sec
3. Smith (Aprilia) +12.356sec
4. Iannone (Aprilia) +12.400sec
5. Terol (Aprilia) +20.078sec
6. Bradl (Aprilia) +20.468sec
7. Folger (Aprilia) 20.755sec
8. Corsi (Aprilia) +21.263sec
9. Espargaro (Derbi) +21.558sec
10. Marquez (KTM) +21.941sec