Julian Simon has taken a wet pole position for Sunday's 125cc German Grand Prix at the Sachsenring.
With rain pouring down throughout the 40-minute session, the world championship leader found a further 0.6sec on his very last lap to push pole over one-second clear of Aspar Aprilia team-mate and title rival Bradley Smith.
KTM's Marc Marquez was a further 0.3sec behind in third, while local wild-card Marcel Schrotter made the most of the conditions to secure a dream front row start on his Toni-Mang Team Honda.
Other notable performances were sixth place for Loncin rider Alexis Masbou and tenth for former Haojue rider Michael Ranseder, now on a CBC Aprilia.
Qualifying - Sachsenring:
1. Simon (Aprilia) 1min 38.671sec
2. Smith (Aprilia) +1.015sec
3. Marquez (KTM) +1.339sec
4. Schrotter (Honda) +1.815sec
5. Terol (Aprilia) +1.821sec
6. Masbou (Loncin) +1.993sec
7. Nakagami (Aprilia) +2.197sec
8. Vazquez (Derbi) +2.295sec
9. Corsi (Aprilia) +2.458sec
10. Ranseder (Aprilia) +2.670sec
17. Webb (Aprilia) +3.043sec
24. Redding (Aprilia) +4.521sec