Esteve Rabat finished Friday practice for the 125cc British Grand Prix on top of the timesheets, after the weather took a sudden change for the worse.
Rain began pounding the Donington Park circuit and its unfortunate fans just five minutes into the one hour session, when Rabat was fastest, sending all riders straight back to the pits until the rain eased around the 20 minute mark.
But track conditions remained fully wet and Rabat's time, set on only his second lap of the afternoon, was never remotely threatened.
World championship leader Julian Simon was ranked 17th during the practice 'lottery', with 2008 home winner Scott Redding 28th and Bradley Smith the leading Briton in ninth.
Friday practice - Donington Park:
1. Rabat (Aprilia) 1min 45.105sec
2. Folger (Aprilia) +0.048sec
3. Iannone (Aprilia) +0.698sec
4. Marquez (KTM) +1.336sec
5. Terol (Aprilia) +1.835sec
6. Zanetti (Aprilia) +2.190sec
7. Gadea (Aprilia) +2.216sec
8. Olive (Derbi) +3.089sec
9. Smith (Aprilia) +3.635sec
10. Salom (Aprilia) +3.750sec
15. Webb (Aprilia) +4.020sec
28. Redding (Aprilia) +7.396sec
30. Lodge (Honda) +8.678sec
31. Jordan (Honda) +9.139sec
34. Hastings (Honda) +12.707sec
35. Glossop (Honda) +13.752sec