Alex Debon has set the Friday free practice pace for the 250cc British Grand Prix at Donington Park.
After a heavy downpour earlier in the afternoon, track conditions were dry and bright for the quarter-litre competitors, with Debon - second last weekend at the Sachsenring - setting his best time on his penultimate lap of the one hour session.
Closest to the Aeropuerto-Castillo-Blusens rider was world championship leader Hiroshi Aoyama, who took his Scot Honda to within 0.041sec of the Spaniard.
Alvaro Bautista, who starts round nine 10 points behind Aoyama, fell from his Aspar Aprilia at the final turn just after the halfway mark. The Spaniard then took third, 0.145sec from Debon, on his last lap of the session.
Reigning 250cc world champion Marco Simoncelli, winner last Sunday in Germany, was fourth quickest for Metis Gilera.
Double 250cc World Championship runner-up Ralf Waldmann, making a one-off GP return at the age of 43 to a track where he tasted victory in both 1997 and 2000, finished the session a respectable 18th out of 28 riders (+3.045sec from Debon) for Viessmann Kiefer Aprilia.
Friday practice - Donington Park:
1. Debon (Aprilia)
2. Aoyama (Honda) +0.041sec
3. Bautista (Aprilia) +0.145sec
4. Simoncelli (Gilera) +0.198sec
5. Pesek (Aprilia) +0.318sec
6. di Meglio (Aprilia) +0.336sec
7. Luthi (Aprilia) +0.359sec
8. Barbera (Aprilia) +0.392sec
9. Abraham (Aprilia) +0.487sec
10. Pasini (Aprilia) +0.546sec
24. Markham (Aprilia) +5.557sec
25. Mossey (Aprilia) +6.225sec
27. Kenshington (Yamaha) +6.756sec