Bradley Smith set the fastest lap time during Friday practice for the Czech Republic Grand Prix at Brno.
The Englishman, who has crashed out of the last two rounds, dropping him to third in the 2009 title chase, set a best lap time 0.113sec ahead of KTM's Marc Marquez.
Smith's Aspar Aprilia team-mate Julian Simon, who holds a 50 point lead at the top of the standings after his third victory of the season at Donington Park, was third with Nicolas Terol fourth for Jack & Jones Aprilia.
Sergio Gadea, sandwiched between team-mates Simon and Smith in the points after nine of 16 rounds, was fifth fastest.
Friday practice - Brno:
1. Smith (Aprilia) 2min 9.211sec
2. Marquez (KTM) +0.113sec
3. Simon (Aprilia) +0.198sec
4. Terol (Aprilia) +0.299sec
5. Gadea (Aprilia) +0.407sec
6. Cortese (Derbi) +0.523sec
7. Iannone (Aprilia) +1.008sec
8. Bradl (Aprilia) +1.094sec
9. Espargaro (Derbi) +1.134sec
10. Redding (Aprilia) +1.190sec
33. Webb (Aprilia) +5.348sec