Crash.Net MotoGP News
125: Iannone on pole at Brno
15 August 2009
Andrea Iannone, winner of the first two races of the season plus a further victory at round six in Catalunya, has taken his second pole position of the 2009 125cc season at Brno in the Czech Republic.
The Italian, who will start round ten fifth in the championship standings, put his Ongetta Aprilia 0.313sec ahead of long time pole sitter Nicolas Terol on the 12th of his 14 laps.
Derbi rider Sandro Cortese was a fraction slower in third with world championship leader Julian Simon completing the front row for Aspar Aprilia.
Team-mate and Friday pace setter Bradley Smith will start at the head of row two, with third Aspar rider Sergio Gadea - currently second in the championship, 50 points behind Simon - starting from seventh, one place behind German Stefan Bradl.
KTM's Marc Marquez, who suffered a huge highside this morning, fell again in the closing stages of qualifying, leaving him down to 20th position.Qualifying - Brno:
1. Iannone (Aprilia) 2min 8.171sec
2. Terol (Aprilia) +0.313sec
3. Cortese (Derbi) +0.336sec
4. Simon (Aprilia) +0.371sec
5. Smith (Aprilia) +0.786sec
6. Bradl (Aprilia) +1.013sec
7. Gadea (Aprilia) +1.069sec
8. Espargaro (Derbi) +1.247sec
9. Vazquez (Derbi) +1.263sec
10. Zarco (Aprilia) +1.291sec
15. Webb (Aprilia) +1.910sec
22. Redding (Aprilia) +2.514sec