Reigning 250cc world champion Marco Simoncelli took his third pole position of the season on his very last lap of qualifying at Brno on Saturday.
World championship leader Hiroshi Aoyama had benefitted from a tow by Hector Barbera to knock Simoncelli from the top as the session came to a close, but Simoncelli responded in style on his final lap - despite a close encounter with Alex Debon - to retake pole from the Scot Honda rider by 0.350sec.
Barbera, fastest in Friday practice, was a further tenth behind for Pepe World Aprilia, with Debon completing a front row covered by 0.775sec. Reigning 125cc world champion Mike di Meglio will head row two for Aspar Aprilia.
di Meglio's team-mate and championship contender Alvaro Bautista, who will start round ten 15 points behind Aoyama, crashed out at the same corner where Valentino Rossi fell in the MotoGP session with three minutes to go. The Aspar Aprilia rider will start eighth on the grid.
Qualifying - Brno:
1. Simoncelli (Gilera) 2min 1.611sec
2. Aoyama (Honda) +0.350sec
3. Barbera (Aprilia) +0.453sec
4. Debon (Aprilia) +0.775sec
5. di Meglio (Aprilia) +0.815sec
6. Locatelli (Gilera) +0.932sec
7. Pasini (Aprilia) +0.950sec
8. Bautista (Aprilia) +1.137sec
9. de Rosa (Honda) +1.157sec
10. Abraham (Aprilia) +1.200sec
Markham (Aprilia) no time