125cc World Championship leader Julian Simon has taken his fourth pole position of the 2009 season by just 0.050sec at Indianapolis.
The Aspar Aprilia rider, who starts round eleven 54.5 points ahead of Nicolas Terol, took pole with six minutes remaining and held on despite a determined attack by Ajo Derbi's Sandro Cortese.
Terol, winner last time out at Brno and last year at Indy, was just 0.2sec from pole in third for Jack & Jones Aprilia, with Pol Espargaro (Derbi) completing a front row covered by just 0.24sec.
Third in the championship Bradley Smith will start from the head of row two in fifth position, with third Aspar rider Sergio Gadea seventh.
Qualifying - Indianapolis:
1. Simon (Aprilia) 1min 49.337sec
2. Cortese (Derbi) +0.050sec
3. Terol (Aprilia) +0.200sec
4. Espargaro (Derbi) +0.240sec
5. Smith (Aprilia) +0.248sec
6. Corsi (Aprilia) +0.291sec
7. Gadea (Aprilia) +0.324sec
8. Vazquez (Derbi) +0.366sec
9. Marquez (KTM) +0.515sec
10. Olive (Derbi) +0.516sec
11. Webb (Aprilia) +0.645sec
26. Redding (Aprilia) +2.232sec