Bradley Smith snatched pole position for Sunday's 125cc San Marino Grand Prix from team-mate and world championship leader Julian Simon by just 0.016sec on his 19th and final lap of qualifying.
Simon had led from the middle stages onwards, while Smith slipped to third behind third Aspar rider Sergio Gadea - who had tucked into his slipstream. After shaking off Gadea, Smith put everything into his final lap to claim his third pole of the season.
Simon, who starts round twelve 52.5 points ahead of Nicolas Terol, finished 0.147sec in front of Italian Andrea Iannone (Ongetta Aprilia), with Terol grabbing a late fourth for Jack & Jones Aprilia.
Without a tow, Gadea dropped to fifth while Indy winner Pol Espargaro qualified sixth for Derbi.
Qualifying - Misano:
1. Smith (Aprilia) 1min 43.717sec
2. Simon (Aprilia) +0.016sec
3. Iannone (Aprilia) +0.163sec
4. Terol (Aprilia) +0.260sec
5. Gadea (Aprilia) +0.335sec
6. Espargaro (Derbi) +0.444sec
7. Marquez (KTM) +0.452sec
8. Corsi (Aprilia) +0.622sec
9. Bradl (Aprilia) +0.929sec
10. Cortese (Derbi) +1.202sec
13. Webb (Aprilia) +1.461sec
14. Redding (Aprilia) +1.486sec