125cc World Championship leader Julian Simon, who starts the final four rounds 57.5 points ahead of Nicolas Terol and can therefore wrap up the title on Sunday, extended his perfect Estoril run with pole position in Saturday's qualifying session.
The Aspar Aprilia rider claimed his sixth pole of the season by over half a second from Derbi's Pol Espargaro, while team-mate Bradley Smith - presently just five points behind Terol - fought back from a big Friday highside to snatch a commendable third on his very last lap, prompting further applause in the Aspar pits.
KTM's Marc Marquez and Viessmann Kiefer Aprilia's Stefan Bradl set exactly the same lap time in fourth and fifth, while Terol will start sixth for Jack & Jones Aprilia.
Andrea Iannone, who controversially clashed with Espargaro last time out at Misano, fell at the end of the session and will line-up ninth.
Qualifying - Estoril:
1. Simon (Aprilia) 1min 45.199sec
2. Espargaro (Derbi) +0.540sec
3. Smith (Aprilia) +0.576sec
4. Marquez (KTM) +0.857sec
5. Bradl (Aprilia) +0.857sec
6. Terol (Aprilia) +0.900sec
7. Cortese (Derbi) +0.988sec
8. Corsi (Aprilia) +1.108sec
9. Iannone (Aprilia) +1.111sec
10. Webb (Aprilia) +1.243sec
24. Redding (Aprilia) +3.117sec