Pol Espargaro took his first pole position of the season on his very last lap of Saturday's qualifying session for the 125cc Australian Grand Prix at Phillip Island.
Winner of two of the last three races and fastest in Friday practice, the Derbi rider snatched pole by 0.279sec from Jack & Jones Aprilia rider Nicolas Terol, with world championship leader Julian Simon third for Aspar Aprilia.
Simon starts Sunday's race 50.5 points ahead of team-mate Bradley Smith and can therefore be crowned champion with two rounds to go on Sunday.
Smith fell at the Hairpin in the final minute of the session, costing him a front row start.
Qualifying - Phillip Island:
1. Espargaro (Derbi) 1min 37.770sec
2. Terol (Aprilia) +0.279sec
3. Simon (Aprilia) +0.297sec
4. Corsi (Aprilia) +0.366sec
5. Smith (Aprilia) +0.385sec
6. Marquez (KTM) +0.522sec
7. Cortese (Derbi) +0.782sec
8. Iannone (Aprilia) +0.798sec
9. Olive (Derbi) +0.808sec
10. Rabat (Aprilia) +0.818sec
21. Webb (Aprilia) +1.751sec
24. Redding (Aprilia) +2.220sec