2009 125cc world champion Julian Simon finished Friday practice for the Valencia season finale fastest of all by 0.193sec.
The Aspar Aprilia star - competing on home Spanish asphalt for the third time this year, but seeking his first home victory of the season after drama and disappointment at Jerez and Catalunya - led the start and finish of the session.
Simon had returned to the top with four minutes remaining, then improved his best lap in the final 30 seconds, with Jack and Jones Aprilia rider Nicolas Terol proving to be his nearest rival.
Young German wild-card Marcel Schrotter caused a stir by being fastest for much of the closing stages for the Toni-Mang team, before being bumped back to a close third place - and the only Honda rider in the top 24!
Sergio Gadea (Aspar), Pol Espargaro (Derbi), Marc Marquez (KTM) and Joan Olive (Derbi) made it six Spaniards in the top seven places, while Bradley Smith - who has already secured second in the championship behind team-mate Simon - was only 13th fastest.
Friday practice - Valencia:
1. Simon (Aprilia) 1min 42.536sec
2. Terol (Aprilia) +0.193sec
3. Schrotter (Honda) +0.211sec
4. Gadea (Aprilia) +0.389sec
5. Espargaro (Derbi) +0.565sec
6. Marquez (KTM) +0.658sec
7. Olive (Derbi) +0.735sec
8. Corsi (Aprilia) +1.098sec
9. Cortese (Derbi) +1.108sec
10. Vazquez (Derbi) +1.122sec
13. Smith (Aprilia) +1.256sec
16. Redding (Aprilia) +1.405sec
24. Webb (Aprilia) +2.169sec