Valentino Rossi will leave it until Wednesday to reveal his decision over whether to make his MotoGP return at this weekend's German Grand Prix.
The Italian underwent a second test on a Superbike at Brno on Monday, an outing that he says 'went better than at Misano', but it will be a round of X-rays on Wednesday that will ultimately help him decide whether to make his return earlier than initially scheduled.
Rossi completed 46 laps with a best time of 1min 59.1secs around the Czech circuit, a effort that would have placed him fourth or fifth on the grid for the World Superbike event.
Reporting that he felt less pain than during his test outing at Misano, Rossi maintains it won't be until the San Marino Grand Prix in September until he is likely to feel fully competitive once again.
“I'm very happy with how it went, I felt much better than in Misano – last week was pretty hard but I feel better and better and we have had five days between those two tests. This time my knee and shoulder didn't hurt as much,”
“Now I'll have to wait to take a decision on Wednesday after we have some X-rays as to whether I race or not in Germany. Doing a full race will be a different story, but I still have another couple of days to get a bit better
“Racing in the next two races would be important in order to be in good shape in Brno (on August 15th), however I think we'll have to wait until Misano (on September 5th) to be fully competitive.”
“Riding the YZF-R1 was good fun, I have to thank the team for preparing the bike for me,” he stated. “We had to work a bit on my leg before checking the bike set-up. It went well and I managed some good lap times, it's a good way to get back into action.”