During this weekend's Valencia MotoGP season finale, the Grand Prix Commission decided the technical rules for the new Moto3 World Championship, which will replace 125cc from 2012.
Moto3 is similar in concept to Moto2, except there will not be a single-engine supplier...
* 4-stroke reciprocating piston engines only.
* Engine capacity: maximum 250cc.
* Single cylinder only.
* Maximum bore size: 81mm. No oval pistons.
* Engines must be normally aspirated. No turbo-charging, no super-charging.
* Crankshaft speed limited to maximum: 14,000 rpm.**
* Maximum of 1 ignition driver.**
* Maximum of 4 valves.
* Pneumatic and/or hydraulic valve systems are not permitted.
* Valves timing system drive must be by chain.
* Variable valve timing and/or variable valve opening systems are not permitted.
* The engine is defined as the complete engine including intake system (throttle body, injectors), and one complete transmission.
* The maximum price of the engine must not exceed 12,000 Euro. No optional parts or service contracts may be used to circumvent this price limit.
* Each engine manufacturer must undertake to supply sufficient engines and spare parts to supply minimum 15 riders per season, if requested.
* Each engine manufacturer must submit a spare parts price and lead-time list for the season for approval by the Organiser, and may not charge more than these published prices. Approval is based on the prices and lead-times being in line with current market norms for these parts and technologies.
* In the event of engine updates or upgraded parts being developed, these must be made available to all customers at the same time, and respecting the price limits described above.
Inlet & Fuel System
* Variable-length inlet tract systems are not permitted.
* Only one throttle control valve is permitted, which must be controlled exclusively by mechanical means (eg. cable) operated by the rider only. No other moving devices (except injectors) are permitted in the inlet tract before the engine intake valve. No interruption of the mechanical connection between the rider's input and the throttle is allowed.
* Idle speed adjustment by means of an air bypass system, controlled by the ECU is allowed.**
* Fuel injectors must be located upstream of the engine intake valves.
* Maximum of 2 fuel injectors and 2 independent fuel injector drivers.**
* Fuel pressure must not exceed 5.0 bar.
* Other than engine sump breather gases, only air or air/fuel mixture is permitted in the inlet tract and combustion chamber.
* Fuel must comply with the FIM “Moto3” specification (tba).
* Variable length exhaust systems are not permitted.
* Noise limit will be a maximum of 115 dB/A, measured in a static test.
* No moving parts (e.g. valves, baffles…) are allowed in the exhaust system.
* A maximum of 6 gearbox speeds is permitted.
* A maximum of 2 alternate gear ratios for each gearbox speed, and 2 alternate ratios for the primary drive gear is permitted. Teams will be required to declare the gearbox ratios for each gear used at the beginning of the season.
* Electro-mechanical or electro-hydraulic clutch actuating systems are not permitted.
Ignition, Electronics & Data-Logging
* Only the ignition/fuel injection control units (ECU) approved by the series Organiser are allowed.